We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe area?

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Safe area?

Hi all,

I'm a fairly well seasoned traveler and I use normal levels of caution while traveling, etc. I will be heading to Cape Town with my girlfriend later this month. I've heard that cape town can be unsafe (as in some areas are safe, while others are not. Just like any other city). I've also heard that if you don't want it stolen, then don't bright it to SA. I'm thinking about the safety of my Girlfriend and myself, and our belongings - cameras, laptop, things that would disappear if there was a breakin at our hotel.

I am a first time traveler to SA and I am very excited about the trip. I am foremost wondering about safety in the area around our hotel (the Glenn Apartments). I know this is an upscale area. However, I haven't seem any recent posts about safety. So, how safe the camps bay area now (as in the last few months)?

If anyone has been to the Glenn recently, any assistance would be appreciated.

Most posts here leave me reassured that I wont have an issue with safety in Cape Town, provided I/we use common sense while traveling. I always do.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
82 reviews
1. Re: Safe area?

We found South Africa (at least the tourist destinations we visited) much safer than its reputation.

We stayed in Camps Bay for 4 nights, July 2013. It is a beautiful area, upscale, and felt very safe. We were there with our two young children. We felt perfectly safe walking to restaurants at night. I walked to a local coffee shop by myself every morning, and I carried my Nikon camera around my neck. Never felt unsafe, and lots of people were running or biking along the beach early in the morning too.

We brought a lap top, a large Nikon, 3D camcorder, a small waterproof camera, and a Gopro on our trip. We did not encounter any problems with carrying them around or leaving them in our hotel.

Yes, use common sense while traveling as you would even at home.

Camps Bay/Cape Town is beautiful. Have a great trip.

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
335 posts
227 reviews
2. Re: Safe area?

We have just returned from SA and had no problems as we were only in safe tourist areas. We did not have any problems walking to restaurants in the evening in Camps Bay. You should take the same precautions here as you would any where else in the world and even your home town. Loved the people and used my ipad, iphone and ordinary camera. Just keep an eye on your bag at all times as you do at home. My husband had his pocket picked in Tenerife in a small fishing village and didn't even notice, so it can happen anywhere. Most hotels have safes for valuables and it is wise to use these for valuables, but even when we left things out they were perfectly safe. I think the jobs in hotels and apartments are highly sought after and therefore if things go missing they get the sack.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Safe area?

Use the same common sense that you use when in Chicago. Your chance of having anything stolen while out and about, or having your hotel room burglarized is about the same as pretty much everywhere else in the world tourists go.

My wife and I have never felt unsafe on any of our trips to South Africa whether on the well trodden paths of the Garden Route or the back of beyond in the Karoo.

It's a pity that this myth about South Africa somehow being a dangerous place for tourists is perpetuated.

4. Re: Safe area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2016, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay