We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on everything Cape Town please

Southampton, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice on everything Cape Town please

I am planning a trip to Cape Town in January 2016 as a suprise for my husbands 40th birthday. As well as relaxing in the sunshine and exploring the local area I hope to book a day at the cricket and also take him Cage diving with Great White Sharks.

Having never been to Cape Town I am looking for advice on everything........

Accommoation - looking for mid range hotel with a pool in beach location within walking distance of restaurants and bars.

Travel - easiest, safest, cheapest way to get around Cape Town

What not to miss - what must we do during our stay?!

anything else i need to know

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on everything Cape Town please

How long are you planning to be in CT and do you want to do other areas such as Garden Route, Cape of Good Hope etc.? Answers to this will help us guide you.

Joyce

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on everything Cape Town please

Hi LizB

Congratulations on picking Cape Town. You will love it.

There is a wealth of information on these forums, if you use the search box.

If you want to be near the beach, then Camps Bay is probably a good option. For good value, I would recommend that you look at guest houses.

Booking.com, Safarinow are good places to start. As is TA!

The advantage of guest houses, is that they are smaller so much more friendly. If you pick 4 star places, then it will be more like a boutique hotel, than a guest house as we know them in the UK.

January is also peak season, so you may want to book by Easter time, as the best rooms and guest houses get booked up.

As for transport, it's easy! Hire yourself a car from the airport. They drive on the same side of the road as the UK and traffic will be much lighter than what you are used to. Fuel is also nearly (not quite) half the cost in the UK. As you do your research, you will find that many of the sites are spread out, so having a car is handy. It then means you can also easily go to the winelands, Cape Point, Constantia, Hout Bay.

Happy planning and if you have more specific questions, you will get lots of help on here

Lisa

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on everything Cape Town please

I would always say hire a car but lots of people like the HOHO bus for two days before picking up the car. I t does depend on how long you have CT and surrounds and if you want to go further afield without paying for private drivers/tour guides.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,892 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on everything Cape Town please

I would do a lot of your own research and get some good guide books on Cape Town. Have a look at the "Things to Do" section on the Cape Town Central TA forum and look at the hotels on the same forum to see what you like the look of and where they are located. I personally would not miss the Winelands but it all depends on what your interests are. Definitely hire a car. Driving is easy (same side of the road as us) and the roads are relatively quiet and well signposted.

Level Contributor
950 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on everything Cape Town please

Google Cape Town Tourism (their official website) and you will see a block with visitors.....and a drop down arrow, click on plan your itinary and you get all sorts of options and you will get a good idea of what's available

Southampton, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on everything Cape Town please

Thank you all very much for your replies and advice I will take a look into it all and post back if I have any specific questions.

Joyce we plan to be in CT for about a week and have not given much thought to exploring further to be honest.

THis is the first time i've used TA for advice and reccommendations and have been very pleasantly suprised.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on everything Cape Town please

Hi Liz B,

I saw you mentioned cricket in your question, there are hotels and guest houses near Newlands Stadium. The Vineyard and Southern Sun hotel is located in Newlands. There is also a variety of guest houses in the Newlands area, the most cost effective being the Oak and Vine Guest House, and it also has a swimming pool. For outdoor activities and things to do, you can also check out Computicket (reputable leisure bookings website) their bookings covers, travel, lifestyle, sport, festivals and music. There is car rental companies at the airport, the group A cars will be the cheapest to hire, and they do have airconditioning. There is also the Constantia wine route, a nice wine farm to visit is called Groot Constia, and they have two restuarants on the wine farm, the one i know best is called Jonkershuis Restaurant. They are close to Newlands. There is also the romantic boat cruises that you can take your husband on at the V&A Waterfront, (you get dinner, lunch and coctail cruises to choose from with the different boat charters)

8. Re: Advice on everything Cape Town please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2016, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay