We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

Hi,

I'm travelling to Cape Town with my boyfriend at the end of October/start of November 2014 and planning on staying in the Cape Town region for about 7 nights.

We are planning on travelling onward after the 7 nights - wedding in Paarl, taking route 62 to Port Elizabeth, visiting Addo Elephant park or a game reserve near Port Elizabeth, then taking the Garden Route back to Cape Town.

Two questions:

Where to base ourselves in Cape Town? Camps Bay or Cape Town Central/Citybowl or in around there? or split the week i.e. 3 days central 4 days camps bay?

Second - we are thinking of going to Addo Elephant Park or a game reserve near Port Elizabeth - any recommendations??

Reason we are thinking to stay in Camps Bay is that it seems pretty chilled plus a lot of the wedding party are staying there but we have been told that V&A Waterfront is a pretty cool place to stay and it was recommended that we stay there for a few nights. Considering it is a taxi ride away we were wondering if its a lot of hassle to get in/out and if we should stick with the one base. We are planning on doing all the major sights of Cape Town - Robben Island, Table Mountain, Penguins (penguins!!!!) etc. We are a couple in our early 30s, not looking for party central but looking for a nice chilled holiday, good food, a few drinks and a bit of culture!

Your help is needed :)

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Paarl
Paarl
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town Central
Cape Town Central
Cape Town, South Africa
Robben Island
Robben Island
7,033 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Table Mountain
Table Mountain
17,024 Reviews
Table Mountain National Park, South Africa
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

For tourist activities, staying the waterfront will be more convienient. The HOHO buses originate there so it will be easy to go most places around town from there. Robbin Island also leaves from there. Cabs are not that cheap in CapeTown it would be nice not to be dependent on cabs to get to town

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

no point in staying in 2 locations, Cape Town is not very big, you will waste time checking in and out, packing and unpacking. .

I find the V&A very sterile, just a large shopping mall in my opinion.

We have stayed in Camps Bay twice, the scenery is beautiful, plenty of places to eat out and the tourist Hop On Hop Off bus stops right outside the Bay Hotel on the beach road. There is also a public bus which is relatively new called MyCiti.

Compared with the UK ,taxis are cheap, the V&A is only about 10 minutes drive away.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
The Bay Hotel
The Bay Hotel
1,237 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Kent
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

Agree stay in one area, the Waterfront is just a big shopping mall & noisy. Look at Seapoint also.

Regarding safari I've been to Addo several times & loved it every time but elephants are my favourite, Addo is a national park & San Parks accommodation is very reasonable but I also did Shamwari private reserve highly recommended.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

What happens when you ask TA a question is that everyone has their own ideas. I am not particularly fond of Camps Bay - too busy, too hilly for us pensioners. Don't like Waterfront either - too busy, noisy, though very convenient. We always stay in the City Bowl, Oranjschizt, Tambersklooef etc. nice and quiet, plenty of good restaurants around and Tamberskloof is on the new micity bus route. Taxis, though, are cheap compared to UK. Only stay in one place - CT is not that huge and you can get around easily.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,169 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

I agree that taxis are cheap compared to the UK...if fact with the favourable exchange rate, you should find most things in South Africa a lot cheaper. We like the Waterfront but don't stay there, preferring to stay in Bantry Bay, about a 5 min drive from the V&A but not quite so far out as Camps Bay.

If you try and swim in the sea near Cape Town, you will soon find out why there are penguins!!!!!

Edited: 14 September 2014, 18:46
Mentioned in this post
Bantry Bay
Bantry Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
6. Re: Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 20:05
Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

Thanks all, appreciate the advise. It's my first time in SA never mind Cape Town so trying to make the most of our trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
8. Re: Camps Bay or Capetown Central/CityBowl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2015, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay