We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

In May I will be visiting Cape town for 4 night nights on my honeymoon. It know its slightly off season but there is so much to do we aren't worried about the weather. Originally everyone we spoke to said stay in Camps Bay based on their own great experiences but I think this was primarily during high season. Someone has since pointed out that it might be very quiet around May/June with a lot of places closed for low season. Now I am wondering if I should stay somewhere around the waterfront? Has anyone visited Camps Bay around May/Jun time and if so was it still lively or did you find it quiet? We want somewhere that is still bustling and safe with easy access to tourist spots We would like somewhere with character,rather than a business hotel. Our budget is in the region of USD 200 per night. Any suggestions for Camps Bay or alternative areas/hotels?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

US $$ per person or both ? PS Camps Bay is very nice but havent been in May /June, wouldnt think it matters but others are bound to add comments.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

Sea Mount Studio. Camps Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Sea Mount
Sea Mount
195 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

Camps Bay will be fine in May/June. Although there will be less tourists than in peak season, Cape Town is a year-round destination. And when there's less tourists, the locals enjoy taking their village back.

Enjoy beachfront strolls or join the many jiggers, if that's your thing. Spot the private funicular railways which lead up to the properties at the south end of Camps Bay. Browse the windows of the real estate agencies. Most eateries stay open and many will offer winter special deals to entice visitors to spend rands.

Andif the sun should come out and the weather improve, wonder at how quickly Camps Bay takes on the holiday vibe as it fills with day visitors and beautiful people, and the road clogs up with convertibles.

Camps Bay has its own character at all times of the year.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

Camps Bay will be still busy that time of the year but can quiet down between Monday and Wednesday. From Thursday to Sunday then the things start to pick-up and the people start becoming a bit more outdoors on the strips of the beach and the restaurants. Have a look at The Bay Hotel for a good deal and also Camps Bay Resort and Azamare Guest House.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
The Bay Hotel
The Bay Hotel
1,235 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Azamare Guesthouse
Azamare Guesthouse
316 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like Camps Bays is still a good option. We will be staying Thursday to Monday so sounds like it could be still nicely busy then. Anyone think waterfront or city bowl would be a better alternative?

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

I must admit I prefer the city bowl area. Easy to get around, loads of good local restaurants and great bed and mreakfast accommodation without the hype of the waterfront which we find too commercial. Look at tamberskloef, oranjeszicht, etc. we stayed at parker house. Great place though no pool

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

Since you want easy access to tourist spots, then I'd agree with the above person that you might enjoy the City Bowl more. The City Bowl is very walkable and accessible to a lot of different options.

Camps Bay won't be completely deserted in June, but the weather does start to become more winter-like and unpredictable then. Therefore, you might not have a chance to enjoy the beach fully like during the warm summer months.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
8. Re: Visiting Cape town/ Camps Bay in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 12:07
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay