We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying currency

trimdon colliery
Level Contributor
314 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Buying currency

Hi looking to buy some rands in England and the best rate I've found is with Travetex UK has anyone used this company are they safe and reliable.Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying currency

Many people these days will use their bank cards at an ATM machine in the airport they arrive at. It doesn't get more safe or reliable than that, plus you'll get the best rates. Let your bank know ahead of time that you'll be in SA.

trimdon colliery
Level Contributor
314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying currency

Thanks for that info Steven 108 :-)

england
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying currency

I've used travelex, if that is who you mean. They are as safe as any financial institution.

There are warnings up about a Camp Bay ATM being targeted by thieves. Sorry don't remember what it said exactly, we didn't use an ATM there.

Change a note for small coins for the parking attendants.

Mentioned in this post
Camp's Bay Beach
Camp's Bay Beach
2,380 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,188 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying currency

The rand is very weak against the pound at the moment so whatever rate you get (probably around R15 to the pound) will be very good! When we went a couple of years ago it was around R11 to the pound and even then we found things to be excellent value. We take some cash and credit cards but we let the bank know that we will be in SA.

trimdon colliery
Level Contributor
314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying currency

Thank you for all the information its very helpful :-)

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying currency

Marks and Spencer is also very good with their rates and they dont charge commission. Just be very careful of the ATM's. There have been a LOT of hold ups at ATM's. The airport should be good and others which are at banks are also good. As Traveller from U.K. says the Rand is sooooooo weak it doesnt matter if youre charged a bit. Keep small change in your car for car guards.

Edited: 29 September 2013, 20:08
Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
763 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying currency

Could someone told me what is Euro exchange rate in banks or exchange office. I fount it is 13,5ZAR= 1 Euro, but probably we get less for 1 Euro. Is possible to buy ZAR in Europe and enter to SA

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying currency

Alves the Euro is VERY STRONG against the weak RAnd so change them wherever you can

You will get Lots OF RANDS FOR YOUR EUROS

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
763 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying currency

You do not approximately rates at exchange office, something like 13,5 ZAR for 1 Euro? Anyway thank you for the answer.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying currency

I would definately use a debit card and draw currency from an ATM in SA as and when you need it.

If you do want to get some currency before you go, then in the UK I have found that www.iceplc.com usually offer the best rate. They offer free home deliver and zero commission. Their exchange rate today was ZAR15.779 - £1

In South Africa a typical rate today was ZAR15.83 = £1 and ZAR13.36 = 1 euro. Rates do of course vary from day to day.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay