We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Camps Bay

Dear all

Please can you help me. I am looking for a lovely place to stay from the 24th Dec - 3rd Jan2011 in Camps Bay. Any recommendations?

Somewhere that has a lovely swimming pool. Can anyone recommend also where to book?

Thanks

Justin

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camps Bay

Justin

What is your budget? There are a very wide range of properties in Camps Bay.

Remember that for the Christmas and New Year period the prices will be Premium Plus. Which means High season rates with often a premium of 20-50 percent added.

Then you haven't said are you looking for a Hotel (only one real "Hotel" in Camps Bay) or a upmarket Guesthouse or B&B - a huge range of establishments at a huge range of prices - or are you looking for a self-catering serviced appartment or villa. For a big villa over Christmas and New Year you can easily spend £20,000.

I think nearly everywhere will have a pool or access to one.

One other important consideration is whether you will have a car. If not confine your search to the levels closer to the Sea Front. Many places in Camps Bay are high up on the Mountain. Down to the beach is a brisk 20 minute walk. Back from the beach is a hard 40 minute slog! In Camps Bay I would normally recommend having a car anyway as getting taxis (especielly over the holiday peak) can be difficult. There is virtually no other public transport.

So a bit more information and you will get lots of ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
2. Re: Camps Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2010, 13:35
London
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camps Bay

Hi all

I am looking for somewhere that is quite luxurious 5 star but at good prices

that is on the beach front. I will not be hiring a car and open to suggestion of where to stay including guest houses, hotels etc. We have been looking at the one&only but that is very expensive. Im hoping someone can guide me?

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camps Bay

In away you dont have much choice - The Bay Hotel in Camps Bay is probably as close as you can get to decent surroundings by the beach at Camps Bay

Alternatively you might be able to rent a cottage on Clifton Beach. That beach has the advantage of being more sheltered from the south east winds which can make Camps Bay beach impossible to use.

The One and Only is not in Camps Bay, nor is it by a beach. The 12 Apostles mentioned above) is also not in Camps Bay and while it overlooks the sea does not have a beach.

Mentioned in this post
The Bay Hotel
The Bay Hotel
1,236 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Clifton
Clifton
Camps Bay, South Africa
Camp's Bay Beach
Camp's Bay Beach
2,382 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camps Bay

I would not think of staying at either the 12 Apostles if you didn't have a car. It is 4.8km walk (about an hour hour) along a very busy main road in each direction to Camps Bay beach. You would be calling and waiting for taxis the whole time. Both The Atlantic View and Enabeni are then quite high on the mountain. The Atlantic view the higher. Look at the views on their websites. Great views but it means to walk back up the mountain from the beach would be a long hard slog!

www.atlanticviewcapetown.com/index.html

www.entabeniguesthouse.co.za/gallery1.htm

Macsym's suggestion of the Bay Hotel is what I reffered to as the only real "Hotel" on the sea front. For location also look at the pictures on their website. It is rather expensive for the Christmas New Year perid though. :

http://www.thebay.co.za/

Any reason that you say you would not be hiring a car. To stay in Camps Bay this would be much cheaper and more convenient to get around than waiting and paying for taxis and tour buses the whole time. Coming from the UK, driving here is much easier than in any UK city. If you had a car you would have much more flexibility on where to stay.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 21:44
Mentioned in this post
Camp's Bay Beach
Camp's Bay Beach
2,382 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
The Bay Hotel
The Bay Hotel
1,236 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camps Bay

Hi Justin

VdeC and Macsym are true DEs and give great advice.

You will have many more options for accomodation if you hire a car however if you really feel that this is not for you then the Bay Hotel is your best option, it looked lovely - I went for a spa treatment last January - bliss. We normally hire a car when in SA but for our stay in Camps Bay last New Year didn't but we had been twice before and were really there for the Test Match. The only transport apart from taxis is the hop on hop off bus, I really would recommend having a car at least for a few days, driving is easy and there is a lot to see.

Camps Bay will be very busy during your stay and it is worth knowing that everything will be closed on 1st Jan (apart from Nandos) - a good day for getting out and about if you are in reasonable shape after the night before!

Mentioned in this post
The Bay Hotel
The Bay Hotel
1,236 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camps Bay

Hi,

The Bay Hotel would match your requirements, but like VDC said, it can be pretty expensive, and I would counsel most people to stay away from large hotels. Cape Town has a plethora of excellent accommodation.

I personally am always a fan of private villas and apartments, and my company manages two that are both excellent and match your criteria. They are:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g312658… & tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g312658…

Other than that, you might want to look at the Bay Atlantic guesthouse (http://www.thebayatlantic.com/) or a brand new boutique hotel in Camps Bay called POD which is amazing, but could also be pretty pricey (http://www.pod.co.za/).

Good luck!

Richard

Mentioned in this post
The Bay Hotel
The Bay Hotel
1,236 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
The Bay Atlantic Guest House
The Bay Atlantic Guest...
535 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
POD Camps Bay
POD Camps Bay
738 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camps Bay

Sorry - ignore my two options. Neither of those is available for the dates, but take a look at Bay Atlantic and/or POD.

Good luck, and happy world cup all!

Mentioned in this post
535 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
camps bay,cape town
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camps Bay

Hi Richard

Thank you for your referral to the Bay Atlantic Guest House. Much appreciated! We run the business with family members and have recently opened the Bay Atlantic Boutique bb at our home located at 10 Medburn Rd. Please have a look at our web site and see what you think. Would value you opinion. :)

www.bayatlanticbb.co.za

Warm Regards

Jennifer and Beach

021 438 1234

082 777 8 0007

reservations@bayatlanticbb.co.za

Mentioned in this post
535 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
10. Re: Camps Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2011, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay