We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve 2009

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve 2009

We are 4 UK 50/60 yr olds (but very young!!) who want somewhere special for dinner on New Year's Eve 2009. We are staying at the Camps Bay Retreat and don't want to go to central CT or the V&A Waterfront. We really like outdoor eating, quality food and a relaxed atmosphere, nothing stuffy! Greta views would certainly help. If you have experienced somewhere I would appreciate your views. Please, no replies unless first hand experience.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay Retreat
Camps Bay Retreat
460 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Table Mountain Off-Road Scooter Tour
7 Reviews
from US$ 20.60*
Cape Town Food Tasting Tour
3 Reviews
from US$ 114.60*
Free Cancellation
1- or 2-day Cape Town Hop-on Hop-off...
241 Reviews
from US$ 15.30*
Free Cancellation
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

Hi there,

The restaurant that I can think of that best suits your description is probably The Roundhouse in Camps Bay. It is a little bit fancy, but not terrible, and the views are fantastic.

dining-out.co.za/member_details-MemberID-306…

Cheers

Richard

Owner - Nox Rentals

Luxury Apartments & Villas in Cape Town

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

Thanks Richard. It looks good on the website and is a distinct possibility. Regards. John.

Selwyn Davidowitz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

JAandCA,

The bad news is that New Years eve 2009 wont be coming around again so I suggest you look into New Year 2010. {See your header} (-:) (-:)

When it comes to New Years eve celebrations in Cape Town visiting a restaurant will only lead to you being ripped off hence I dont advise you do this.

As a born and raised Capetonian my suggestion to you would be to go to one or two delis and pack a wonderful picnic basket. At 20h00-21h00 drive up Signal Hill. Park your car and find a spot on the lawn atop the hill. Enjoy your picnic. Dont forget the Champers and make sure it is a South African brand. (-:) At midnight enjoy the wonderful fireworks spectacle in the Waterfront. Being atop of Signal Hill you will have a wonderful view of the event.

By doing the above not only will you enjoy a cheaper New Years experience but you will have a marvellous time with SOUTH AFRICANS and not tourists. Between 20h00 and 24h00 you will meet lots of your fellow picknickers who will all be local. The atmosphere is always a wonderful, happy, local experience. I have suggested this New Years experience to many visitors to our city and after taking my advice they have come back to thank me for the fabulous experience that they had.

There is one snag with the above idea and that is leaving Signal Hill will be much slower than normal as their will be a slight traffic jam coming off the mountainside. When leaving Signal Hill DO NOT travel through the city as it will be log jammed with traffic. Rather travel to your place of stay via The Glen adjacent to Signal Hill as this will help you avoid most of the traffic generated by New Years eve revellers.

Its still quite a way to go however I hope this helps you in your planning and that you enjoy your second stay in our wonderful city.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
3,301 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
149 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens always have wonderful New Year's concerts. It's the most beuatiful concert area you can imagine and you can take your own picnic and champagne.

Enjoy! Jessy @ extraordinary-travel.com

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

Thanks Selwyn, good idea that we may well do. By the way isn't New Year's Eve 31 Dec 2009?

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

Actually I have to agree with Selwyn here.

To be the "eve" of something is to be the day before, in this case the first day of 2010, so 31 December 2009 is the eve of the 2010 year.

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

Selwyn, great advice thanks.

Banchory, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

Is 'ILoveCapeTown" a bit of a smart guy??

Surely New Year's Eve (as specified in the header) IS 2009?

New Year's DAY will be 2010 !

UAE
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

JA & CA

Just wondering, what did you finally decide to do in the evening of 31 December, 2009?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year's Eve 2009

Hi

I know that you have asked the OP about what they did on NYE, we were in Camps Bay on NYE and researched long and hard about what to do prior to our visit. Maybe you are asking because you are planning to visit next NYE so here is what we did and experienced.

I sent many emails to Camps Bay restaurants asking for menus and prices for dinner. Most came back with special menus at R1500 to R2000 per person. We were meeting up with some friends that night and they were not keen to pay so much for a meal.

Through posts on the Cape Town Forum I booked The Bayside Cafe which was offering the normal menu plus a 20% service charge.

Our friends arrived in CB a few days before we did and managed to get a special deal at another restaurant for NYE and cancelled the booking for the Bayside Cafe.

Camps Bay was busy that night but there were some empty tables at our restaurant - I think that they had over estimated how many people would pay R2000 for a meal and the bookings did not materialise!! Hence the special half price meal offered to our friends. Our friends were even able to specify where we sat and a round table.

I cannot say if other restaurants experienced the same lack of bookings, however I did get an email from the Pepper Club on 26th Dec saying that they had a provisional booking for us - they didn't and I suspect they were going all out to fill tables.

So, I would advise anyone looking to book a meal for NYE in Camps Bay to hang on and see what restaurants they like and do a 'deal' closer to the time. Obviously this may be more difficult if your first day in CB is actually NYE but from our experience I think that it would still be possible to arrange a table at that late stage.

We had a lovely meal, good wine and a really great time, the service was fantastic, the band played Auld Lang Sang at Midnight then we went outside,spending the first part of the new decade drinking champagne overlooking the beach, hearing the waves pounding over the noise of the traffic and other people celebrating.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay