We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Camps Bay

We will be in Camps bay for New Years Eve 2009/2010, does anyone have any recommendations for how we can spend the evening. Our accomodation is within easy walking distance of the beach, restaurants ect. We do not want to go clubbing but just going out for a meal doesn't seem too exciting. I appreciate that we will have to anything book well in advance and that this is the peak holiday season. Cost is not really an issue. Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Kirstenbosch Gardens usually has a great New Years Eve show. Last year it was a very popular Cape Town band called Goldfish, and from what I heard it was a great party.

Contact Kirstenbosch direct for more details. http://www.sanbi.org/frames/kirstfram.htm.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Hi, we will be there too, also from the UK, so I hope we get interesting replies.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Thanks Richard for your New Year suggestion, if we didn't need to drive I would have been very happy to do this, I also like Selwyn's suggestion on another post of picnicking on Signal Hill.

We do want to stay in Camps Bay itself and will probably end up doing something we would never consider at home - book a restaurant!

I believe Tuscany Beach had a dinner dance last year at R1200 per person - a lot of money for a meal I know but as we always spend NYE with friends taking turns to host a party in our homes something like this will be a real treat.

I wonder if anyone has knowledge of what the other restaurants in Camps Bay did last New Year.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
3,343 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Hi!

In Camps Bay there tends to be a big beach party every year on the beach as well as many of the restaurants along the Promenade. A very popular one is Blues Restaurant and Pranga as well as The Kove. Here is a link and contact details to some of the more "upmarket" ones:

www.restaurants.co.za/search.asp…

It is best to book with them in advance!!!

The V&A Waterfront is also legendary for their firework displays that take place every year at 00:00! They can be seen for miles and there are some really good restaurants that you can book at to get a brilliant view. This however, has to be done asap as some of them get booked a year in advance! :)

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Thank you very much WCF, I will check these out,

Kind regards

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

In my opinion the best resource for restaurants in SA is Eat Out magazine. http://www.eatout.co.za - just do a search for Camps Bay.

My personal favourite restaurants in Camps Bay are Codfather & Caprice (which is much more of a bar than a restaurant).

If you give us a few more ideas about what you are looking for, and your age, we can probably give you some better ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cafe Caprice
Cafe Caprice
463 Reviews
Camps Bay, South Africa
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Dear Richard

Thank you for responding once more, it is appreciated.

We will be a party of 5:-

My husband and I mid to late 40's (young at heart!!)

Married friends in their early 30's and the brother of the husband again early 30's.

Essentially we are coming over to watch some cricket at Newlands. My husband and I stayed in Camps Bay last year and have also stayed in Cape Town on another visit. We know some of the restaurants but for NYE I am keen to know which restaurants do something a bit more that just having dinner, even if we are sat on a lovely terrace watching the sun set.

Since first submitting this post I have found out that there was some sort of magic show at the Table Bay Hotel and that Tuscany Beach had a 'dinner dance'. Blues had an event too.

I have emailed Summerville to enquire about what they did last year but have heard nothing back.

Kind regards

Mentioned in this post
Newlands
Newlands
Cape Town, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
The Table Bay Hotel
The Table Bay Hotel
2,588 Reviews
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Hi. i was in Cape Town last New Year's Eve. We ate at Baia on the Waterfront. They had a set meal (but with plenty of choice), a dance and we watched the fireworks from our table. I seem to remember it was expensive - around 1500R pp plus drinks. It was fantastic though....We also managed to get a taxi back to our accommodation ok from the waterfront. I guess you would pay that in the UK (or more?).We booked in September and had to pay up front.

Another restaurant recommendation that someone has already mentioned, is the Codfather. Great vibe, great fish...only fish though! You chose your fish at a counter and pay by weight.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Baia
Baia
2,653 Reviews
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Thanks Lisasplaces,

We thought that it might be a bit difficult getting to and from the Waterfront from Camps Bay on NYE but if you got a taxi alright then we will have a look at that too. We are really looking forward to it, I know that if we went to something similar in North Leeds on NYE then we would be looking at £100 per person plus drinks with very average food.

Kind regards

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve in Camps Bay

Ali its best to book the taxi in advance because it does get very busy around that time, rather book it in advance in case. A good taxi company is Rikki's Taxi's, they charge set rates within the City Bowl area but as they are soooo popular, you need to book them in advance :)

Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay