We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay

Hi

I am travelling to Cape Town on my own for 6 days and not sure where to stay. I don't want to hire a car and want to make sure that I am safe. I keep getting different advice as to where to stay - V&A waterfront or Camps Bay are the 2 most popular options - does anyone have any advice?

South Africa
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay

The Waterfron is closer to the CBD and is pretty safe, especially during the day, and will have more accommodation. It will be easier than Camps Bay to get places if you have no car. I lived in Camps Bay - it is a trendy up-market suburb 10 minutes from the CBD with a great beach. There is a good beach and lots of (overpriced) coctail bars on the beach.

If you stay in Camps Bay find a place close to the beach (and transport) as the suburb rests on some pretty steep slopes as you move up towards Table Mountain. Camps Bay can also get very windy in the afternoons!

I'd look at the waterfront or even Sea Point.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay

I personally think that Camps Bay is far more spectacular than the waterfront, and I like the beach and mountain feel more than the Waterfront's urban/shopping feel, but having said that there is fantastic accommodation in both locations, and both are very popular and very beautiful.

Camps Bay & V&A are both convenient to most of the tourist destinations, so a short cab ride will get you where you need to be in both cases.

Like boet said, if you do opt for Camps Bay I would go for something within walking distance of the beach, as that will seriously negate the need for a car. If you end up high on the hill a car would be essential.

Richard Marshall

Owner - Nox Rentals

Luxury Villas & Apartments in Cape Town

England
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay

Definitely the waterfront if you want to be safe. Visit Camps Bay for the dining at night, and beach in the day. If you do decide to stay in Camps Bay - either go for the Place on the Bay or The Bay Hotel - both right on the beachfront

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay

Hi Peter

Why do you think you would not be safe in Camps Bay?

I live ten minutes away having moved here seven years ago from the UK. IMO it is a very safe area with very much less tourist related crime than seaside towns like Brighton or Blackpool in the UK.

Of course if you have personal experience of problems in Camps Bay during your stay here please post information in this forum. Everybody needs to be aware of real facts.

England
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay

i am making the recommendation based on the fact that we are talking about a woman on her own. did you read the atlantic sun last week - camps bay residents are concerned about the vagrancy and begging on the camps bay strip, the loitering outside the codfather is not particularly pleasant - a woman sleeping with her child in the restaurant entrance after 11pm. Camps Bay is certainly safe but I wouldn't walk through the Glen or on the beach at night alone. Don't get me wrong, I love Cape Town but it is not utopia.

6. Re: Where to Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 21:49
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay