We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dec 09 jan 2012 cricket

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dec 09 jan 2012 cricket

my husmand and i are coming to sa for the cricket and wish to base ourselves in camps bay for two weeks. any personal recommendationd for an apartment or small boutique hotel with sea view bedroom and or lounge???thanx

Boutique hotels in Camps Bay
POD Camps Bay
POD Camps Bay
#1 of 12 hotels in Camps Bay
South Beach Camps Bay
South Beach Camps Bay
#2 of 12 hotels in Camps Bay
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dec 09 jan 2012 cricket

Hi

I didn't think we were doing two year cricket tours yet. Think you mean Jan 2010!!

You say you are basing yourself here for two weeks. I assume this is during the test matches. Will you be flying out to the different test matches (Durban and/or Pretoria, Joburg) or just coming to the Newlands test (Jan 3-7). If you are travelling in and out, Camps Bay may not be the ideal place to base yourself. In Cape Town we have a rather large mountain in the middle and Camps Bay is on the opposite side of this to both the airport and Newlands. You either have to drive over Kloof Nek Pass and right through the middle of the city or to the south through Hout Bay and north again - a bit further but much less traffic. There are other alternatives depending on how much travel you plan to do.

The other thing to consider is that the three weeks after Christmas are the absolute holiday peak in Cape Town. As well as overseas tourists (and this year the Barmy Army!), this is school summer holidays. It seems that half of Johannesburg and Pretoria are down here in ther Cape. Roads are clogged and accommodation is difficult. At this time there is a particular stress on appartment/rental accommodation. You are right to look for bookings now. Could you let us know a bit more detail and I am sure we can help.

Mentioned in this post
Pretoria
Pretoria
Gauteng, South Africa
Newlands
Newlands
Cape Town, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Hout Bay
Hout Bay
2,848 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dec 09 jan 2012 cricket

Agree with Van de C...it would be a bit of a hike to and from the cricket each day...why not have a few days when the cricket is actually on either in the city (easy to get the train to Newlands station, right next to the ground) or in Newlands itself, which is a nice leafy area with lots of pubs and restaurants..

Mentioned in this post
Newlands
Newlands
Cape Town, South Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dec 09 jan 2012 cricket

sorry typing error of course meant 2010! perhaps stay in newlans itself and capms bay for part? we are only going to the capetown test- want to relax during other days- have done all the sight-seeing table mountain etc,before- thanx

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dec 09 jan 2012 cricket

thanx see my reply to van de c

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,307 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dec 09 jan 2012 cricket

Hi

For Newlands it depends how much you want to spend. My favorite hotel here is the Vineyard Hotel. This is a little larger than boutique but is in a lovely quiet position. The heart is a 200 year old country house but the hotel rooms are modern. I have checked availability and it still has rooms over the test match period at R2,300 per night for a double room for two people (£165). This hotel does however have lots of special offers. This January they have been offering double rooms for multiple nights for R1,400 pn (around £100). Whether they would offer this next year with the test match I am not sure but you could check directly with them.

http://www.vineyard.co.za/index.htm

The hotel is within 10 mins walk of the cricket ground - as near as you will be able to park anyway. It has two really good restaurants, Myoga and The Square. It has a great Spa and Pool and is set in lovely gardens with Table Mountain views.

For something completely different there is a lovely cottage that might be available, which is even closer to the Cricket. You would not believe that this was in a city suburb. Called Little Spotte it shows current rates of only R650 for the whole cottage for two people. It may however very well be booked for next January.

www.travelselection.co.za/littlespotte.htm

Mentioned in this post
Myoga
Myoga
858 Reviews
Newlands, South Africa
Table Mountain
Table Mountain
17,101 Reviews
Table Mountain National Park, South Africa
6. Re: dec 09 jan 2012 cricket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 01:50
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay