We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winelands, Safari and City Tours Oh My - So many questions -

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Winelands, Safari and City Tours Oh My - So many questions -

I am in the process of planning my first trip to South Africa. I would love some advice from the experts. We are two couples mid 60's. We are flexible in adding days but need to maintain a moderate budget.

Here are some things we would want to include in our trip.

1) We would like to spend 4 days in the winelands but do not want to self drive. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be much appreciated. would like to know where to stay in the Winelands, which are the best wineries and routing to accomplish as much tasting as possible?

2) 4 days in Cape Town. Would the Citipass be a good tool for seeing the most?

3) 2 night safari. I thought we would find a safari near Cape Town but it looks like that would be 4 hours away. I do have to fly to Johannesburg on the way out but it looks like it would be 4 hours from there as well. Are there any safaris that we don't have to travel 4 hours each way from either CPT or JNB?

1) 1 nt in JNB before flying out

Thanks for any advice you can give.

6 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Winelands, Safari and City Tours Oh My - So many questions -

Since you realize to have a proper wildlife experience you’ll need to travel for it, I highly recommend 3 nights minimum. Greater Kruger is the best place to go. In a moderate budget (that doesn’t mean much because everyone’s moderate is different), check out Senalala, Arathusa, Kambaku - three great lodges in 3 different reserves but each a little different. If you want to be the only 4 visitors for your safari, check out Ivory Wilderness Riversong. Great for 4 of you if it’s what you’re looking for. If those don’t meet your budget or travel needs, there are many more - just let us know. Just fly from Cape Town direct to the Kruger airport nearest your lodge for 3 nights. Then fly to JNB for your flight home. On that last day, the HopOn HopOff bus with Soweto is a great way to see the highlights of the historic city before your evening flights home. Rosebank and Sandton (or an airport hotel) are the most popular tourist bases.

For me, 3 nights in Cape Town is good but many will recommend longer. Most of the city can be experienced using the HOHO bus, Uber, cabs, hoofing it and arrange a private tour for the Cape of Good Hope, penguins at Boulder Beach and maybe Seal island. You can arrange that through one of the many tour cos or your hotel. I didn't use the Citipass - Robben Island, Table Mountain are highlights. I can’t help with the winelands. It’s been a long time...

When are you planning this trip for?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
2. Re: Winelands, Safari and City Tours Oh My - So many questions -

No real "safaris" worthy of the name Cape Town in my opinion.

For something resembling a true "safari", you would have to fly.

1 Direct from Cape Town to Skukuza in Kruger National Park, or to Nelspruit or Hoedspruit then road transfer to KNP or an adjacent private reserve.

2 Direct from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth then road transfer to Addo.

3 Fly from Cape Town to Johannesburg, then either road transfer or fly, to either Madikwe, or Pilanesberg.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,279 posts
625 reviews
3. Re: Winelands, Safari and City Tours Oh My - So many questions -

Hi

I agree with cbir and Gavin in that you need to look further north for your safari. My pick would be Greater Kruger and I’m a huge fan of Senalala mentioned above. It’s just a 40 minute transfer from Hoedspruit airport, which you can fly to directly from Cape Town. You also don’t need a night in Joburg on your way home if you’re tight on time. Most of the flights to Europe and the US leave in the evening, leaving you plenty of time afte the flight lands from Hoedspruit or the other airports in the Kruger area.

I agree that 3 nights is the minimum

Winelands - without a car I would stay in Franschhoek. You can walk to restaurants easily in the evening if you stay in the village. There’s the wine tram for visiting wineries. There’s also a tuk Tuk service and Uber now operates in Franschhoek

I would also look at getting a private driver for one day so that you can visit Stellenbosch. The town itself is very interesting and imo some of the best wineries are in SB.

I think 4 days in Cape Town is perfect. There is so much to see you also need to explore its natural beauty. As said the HOHO bus is a great way of seeing the main sights. Again I would recommend a private driver to take you to Boulders Beach and Cape Point. No need for a city pass.

I would also be interested in when your thinking of travelling. As more of your trip will be in the Western Cape, I would suggest October to April when the weather is at its best. Some people will say wildlife viewing is not as good then, but I’ve never been disappointed at that time of year.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Winelands, Safari and City Tours Oh My - So many questions -

Thank you all for the replies. We will be traveling the first two weeks of April. I will take a look at the airports and lodges you have recommended. Trying to stay about $1000 - $1500 per person for everything except international flights and food and drinks.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Winelands, Safari and City Tours Oh My - So many questions -

$100-$150 per person per night for domestic flights, transportation (especially without renting a car) and accommodations? Please share anywhere where you can do that. Also, that’s around Easter next year (April 21) so expect higher prices during Holy Week. Safari lodge prices include meals and game drives so adjust for that. Check Airbnb and www.safarinow.com for guest houses in Cape Town and the winelands.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,279 posts
625 reviews
6. Re: Winelands, Safari and City Tours Oh My - So many questions -

I think you might be tight on budget, even at the top end.

You could do self drive in the Kruger which would help to keep the costs down. Or maybe even look at Pilanesburg from Joburg as Gavin suggested. You would save money here and would have cheaper flights to Cape Town. Those flights from Hoedspruit to Cape Town are expensive for example.

I often go away at Easter to South Africa and prices do not go up for the Easter holidays, but they stay at the higher summer rate.

It’s one of my favourite times to visit. Not too hot in the Western Cape and not quite so rainy in the north.

Reply to: Winelands, Safari and City Tours Oh My - So many questions -
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted