We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

Berkshire
1 post
Save Topic
looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

I have just come back from touring the Sabie area and the Kruger Park. Guest houses in Sabie were a disappointing to say the least. Luckily my husband and I saw a sign on the road just outside and took a chance. The owners showed us round and luckily had accommodation available that night. We had a fab room, the use of a lovely lounge bar area, a massive patio for sundowners and a swimming pool. The owners will cook a three course dinner for you if you don't want to go out at night. We stayed another night and gave it a try - the food was amazing. The lofge is called the Valley View Lodge and I think they are on internet by googling. Highly recommend it.

Gabi and Jim UK

Mentioned in this post
Sabie
Sabie
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Kruger Park Lodge
Kruger Park Lodge
676 Reviews
Hazyview, South Africa
Art of Food
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Deli, Contemporary
Mrs Simpson's Restaurant
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Contemporary
Redmond
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

This is the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in. We were verbally abused by the host because we were late for dinner. No opportunity was afforded to us to explain the situation. We were harrangued for 20 minutes or, as we unloaded our vehicle, and charged for our meals. All venues in town were closed thus we didn't eat after a long, hot, 12 hour journey.

We left a day early. I didn't try and get my money back - it wasn't worth another round of abuse. Never have I experience such rudeness in the hospitality industry (travelled in 30+ countries). Never felt compelled to leave accommodation early either.

Enjoy your holiday by NOT staying at the Valley View.

uk
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

We too stayed at Valley View earlier this year. Before we had even unloaded we had to pay cash up front for our stay and sign a form promising that we would not soil the sheets or towels! We were informed in no uncertain terms that no way must we take drinks into our rooms, although the internet write up promised tea/coffee trays in bedrooms. We were informed that some "stupid" people could not count the chairs and had had to be commanded to leave their rooms where they had taken their refreshments. There was an honesty bar but you were not allowed to take drinks - you had to call the host. This was the least welcoming of the places we stayed in South Africa and we were made to feel very uneasy.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

Valley View Lodge is a must-stay-place if you are looking for something really extra! I totally agree to what Gabi and Jim had to say about the place. I just loved that wonderful atmosphere and the top class service that was offered to us at the Valley View Lodge. Not to mentioned the food! Fantastic! Every night we just were longing to get back to the suppertime after a long exciting day at the Krueger Park. And by the time we got back to Valley View Lodge we were starving for food. And we were never disappointed. We simply had our best three course dinners during our almost three week tour in South Africa.

They got a couple cozy rooms with a very high standard. Clean and fresh! But what we do remember the most is the friendly atmosphere offered by Fred and Demi, the couple which also are the owners of Valley View Lodge.

Thank you so much for your professionalism and your hospitality. Both of you gave us unforgettable memories from our stay at Valley View Lodge.

I could highly recommend this place!

Tom von Sivers/Stockholm/Sweden

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

I can not believe the statement of "geckoid". Last year we were the third time in SA and so in November 07 we were in the Valley View. Demi and Fred were so hospitable. They take care of everbody and everythink. We eate two times by Demi and the dinner was very delicious.

We stayed for two nights and it was to short, cause our conversations were enjoyable and inspiring, we learned again from them about the people and the country. We came as guest and we arrived as friends - thank you so much Demi & Fredi !

Andrea

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

All these posters that only have 1 post. Mightily suspicious. Definitely looks a bit like advertising to me.

vienna
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

In regards to the two posts " geckoid & shrimpers"

I wish to say the following :My husband and I have been staying a week at Valley View Lodge last year in February and again the past Christmas and we cannot believe that there is any truth in those two posts - but of course there are good people and bad ones .

We wish Demi and Fred a many good guests because they are good people

Bristol, UK
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

4 of us stayed at Valley View for 3 days in February, 2 days before we went into Kruger and one day after we left the park. The place was great, clean comfortable rooms, great food (the chocolate mousse is to die for !!) and as Gabi and Jim mentioned lovely patio and refreshing pool,just what we needed after a day out touring the sights of the surrounding area.

Pool towels as well as bathroom towels are provided in the rooms. Tea and coffee or any drink for that matter are served on demand, Fred even went out to buy requested beers and spirits for us that he didn't have in stock. Fred and Demi are fantastic hosts.They made us more than welcome and we were treated to VIP treatment throughout our stay, Hell they even stored our excess luggage that we didn't need going in to the park for us. As for the one post/advertising comment, I had already booked our stay before I had read the 2 terrible reviews and was most apprehensive On the last day of our stay I mentioned this to Fred and Demi,they were aware of the posts and were very, very upset and although I never post I said I would post a review based on our treatment, it was the least I could do after such a fantastic stay.

Danni, Braam, Clare and Rich. Bristol, UK

Mentioned in this post
Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

Lamlee - interesting point you make there!

I think I've spoken to you before a couple of years back when I was planning a garden route trip - back in November this year for a wedding in Clarens and Kruger park :D

Mentioned in this post
Clarens
Clarens
Free State, South Africa
Kruger Park Lodge
Kruger Park Lodge
676 Reviews
Hazyview, South Africa
California
Level Contributor
375 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

I agree, its interesting that all these people with 1 posts are coming out of the woodwork to defend this place..... ha ha....

Redmond
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for a better class of guest house in Sabie - I found

Well folks, I am Geckoid. I stand by my remarks.

My post was not made up. Our dinner was scraped into the garbage and were charged for the meal. We were also yelled at from the time we got out of our car and the verbal barrage continued until we were well within our room.

Just for the record, I am not advertising anything. I stated my experience for the benefit of other travelers.

My advice is NEVER stay here. If you want to be harangued from your car and into your room, be hungry , then you'll have a great time. Best of all you get to pay.

In 15 years of traveling the world and staying in all manner of accommodations I have never experienced such rudeness.