We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting for a week.. lookin for fun in surrounding area!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Visiting for a week.. lookin for fun in surrounding area!

Hi all!

Im not completely sure on the agenda they have planned, I joined last minute. We are flying into las vegas sept 28th. The 30th we will be heading to Zion national park. October 1st we will be in Havasu City till the 7th. What are all my options in the surrounding areas to do besides be out on the lake. I am 27, my sister is 21, and my friend is 29. we will be doing the Grand Canyon on the last day. I would just like to know some other things to do while I am out west. we love everything outdoors! This will be my first time during the summer to enjoy it. We will have a rental car to drive anywhere. Any help will do!

thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
13,435 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting for a week.. lookin for fun in surrounding area!

You need at the minimum one full day in Zion NP. It's a 3 hour drive from Las Vegas to Zion NP. So you'll have that afternoon. It's at least a 5 hour drive from Zion NP to Lake Havasu. You'll only have maybe a couple of hours on Oct 1. It's almost a 4 hour drive from Lake Havasu to the south rim Grand Canyon and then another 5 hours back to Las Vegas. You weren't planning on doing this as an out and back in one day were you? If so, you'll only have time at the Grand Canyon to get out of the car and take a picture. You need an overnight at the Grand Canyon.

You and your friends need to take a closer look at your plan, including driving distances (if you use Google Maps, add 30% to those drive times). You need to get a good paper road map of the area as well. Also, do you have reservations in Zion for that one night? You can't just show up at Zion at the end of September and hope to get a hotel room, or campsite for that matter. Same thing for the Grand Canyon.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting for a week.. lookin for fun in surrounding area!

We will be driving from Zion to Havasu lake at night after zion for the day. Once we arrive at Havasu, we will be staying there till the 7th. I know they mentioned Grand canyon on the last day, so I would assume the 6th and drive to airport to catch plane on the 7th. ill sleep in the car for an overnight if I cant get a hotel for grand canyon lol Just looking for stuff to do during the 1st through the 5th while staying in Lake Havasu.

thanks for feedback1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
13,435 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting for a week.. lookin for fun in surrounding area!

It is a very bad idea to drive at night this part of the country. The roads are very dark and large wildlife can be on the roads after sun down. You may not see an animal before it's too late to avoid a collision. If you have a problem, cell phone coverage can be spotty to non-existent in the entire region. Re think the plan to drive from Zion to Lake Havasu in the dark.

You will not be able to legally sleep in your car at the Grand Canyon. Park Rangers would most likely wake you up in the middle of the night and ask you to move on (best case scenario), or you get receive a stiff fine. You need to be either in a hotel room or in your car at a campground.

I don't know anything about Lake Havasu. Hopefully others can help you out there.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting for a week.. lookin for fun in surrounding area!

Would have been nice if you could make more of a loop trip.

Vegas/Zion/Page/Grand Canyon/Havasu/Vegas.

Some other quick thoughts of what to see in the area..

You could head to Laughlin if you like to gamble.

Topock Gorge is a pretty area to boat.

Near Vegas is Bootleg Canyon Flightlines

You can kayak or take the raft trip from Hoover Dam to Willow Beach.

You could head to Oatman to see the burros.

Route 66 stuff between Topock and Kingman( see Oatman) and Kingman to Seligman as well as Williams.

The Mojave Preserve is not terribly far away.Sand dunes, Rings Loop Trail

The Desert Bar is open Oct-April, but weekends only. Fun place down near Parker.

http://www.thedesertbar.com/

If you like car or motorcycle racing, the Blue Water Desert Challenge is in Parker Oct 6-9.

If you drive at night, sometimes burros can be on the road down near Havasu/Parker.

Edited: 14 September 2016, 22:26
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting for a week.. lookin for fun in surrounding area!

Thank you! ill make some recommendations!

Lake Havasu City...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting for a week.. lookin for fun in surrounding area!

I am so sorry for the late response as you have already been here and left!.. I hope you stopped at our great Visitor Center and I'm sure the folks who volunteer there gave you lots of suggestions!

Reply to: Visiting for a week.. lookin for fun in surrounding area!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Havasu City
Recent Conversations