We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Havasu - October in RV

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Havasu - October in RV

Hi

We're currently planning a week in an RV in October - we being myself, my husband (both 50) & my parents (both a young 80!)

We've all done similar trips before and have decided this time to start from LA - doing 3 nights at Joshua Tree and ending with 2 nights at Valley of Fire before dropping off the RV in Vegas.

The question is where to spend the two nights in the middle?

I'm thinking Lake Havasu might be a good option. A couple of nights in a more developed area with all the accompanying facilities would probably work well in between the other two more remote stops. My only concern is that I seem to be finding a lot of reports that Lake Havasu is very much a 'party town'! Now, we do enjoy sitting in the sun with a few beers as much as anyone, and I do realise this is probably not the place for quiet meditation (!) but - how hectic are we talking here?

Am I right in thinking that the last week in October will be a little more peaceful than mud summer?

Any suggestions and campground recommendations would be gratefully received! Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,051 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Havasu - October in RV

From JT NP drive from 29 Palms North to Amboy ... Following the "Old Rt 66 to Goffs & turning on the 95/163 to Laughlin/Bullhead City ... Might serve as the shorter drive to a more "urban" pause from the Mojave "tour" Happy trails ... carracar

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Havasu - October in RV

I know its not really the urban that you requested, but maybe check out the Mojave Preserve. Once you pass Amboy, you cross I-40 and enter the preserve.

There are two developed campsites, Hole in the Wall and Mid Hills. Mid hills is off a dirt road.

There is also what is called roadside camping at places like Kelso Dunes, or off Cima Road and be amongst a huge forest of Joshua Trees.Way more Joshua Trees in the preserve than at Joshua Tree!

https:/…campgrounds.htm

https:/…roadside-camping.htm

In addition to Laughlin there are places to camp at Lake Mead, or Willow Beach below Hoover Dam.

At Havasu in late October, you are more likely to run into RV snowbirds rather than the partying boating crowd of summer.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Havasu - October in RV

Thanks - will check it out!

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Havasu - October in RV

Thanks a lot for the info. My husband & I did actually visit Mojave NP on a previous trip staying at Hole in the Wall and really loved it! Just thought we"d try a different route this time. Willow Beach looks like another good option though...lots of food for thought!

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
373 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Havasu - October in RV

Davis Camp Park in Bullhead City is a beautiful riverfront park. There are plenty of places to shop and eat between Laughlin, NV and Bullhead City, AZ.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,262 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Havasu - October in RV

Lake Havasu is a party town at college spring break time March/April. October is still very warm in Arizona, but I would not expect an RV resort in LHC to be a party place.

Lake Havasu City...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Havasu - October in RV

Sorry for the late reply but I hope that Lake Havasu City was/is on your route for your RV vacation!

Stop at our wonderful Visitor Center for information and get signed up for the walking London Bridge Tour!

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Havasu - October in RV

Advertising in not allowed

Reply to: Lake Havasu - October in RV
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Havasu City
Recent Conversations