We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another undecided snowbird

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Another undecided snowbird

We too are newly retired (55) and thinking of Jan - Mar in Lake havasu city. Not looking for the wild life, enjoy keeping fit, walking, hiking, golf, dining and relaxing. I'd like to know more about what there is to do there at that time, and about some of the amenities, restaurants, shops, activities and just generally what can you expect to do during the day? Maybe hear from someone who's stayed there during those 3 months and how they spent their time.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another undecided snowbird

Hi, I see no one has answered you as yet. I have not stayed there any length of time - just visited. It has a reputation for being pretty wild during spring break time. They are also known for their boating. Lots and lots of boats there. We visited there during May and enjoyed our visit. Had a nice tour boat ride and a very nice dinner but it's very quiet there. We are not golfers or boaters so there really wouldn't be too much there for us. I personally need more action around. It is very pretty there. I guess I'm not much help but that is just our observation of the the place.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,164 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another undecided snowbird

Like Thelrose I can't give you any personal stories about experiences there. It is my understanding that it is attractive to snowbirds who seek a budget minded vacation destination. There is golf and there is the river and boating. A shortage of other infrastructure keeps demand and costs low.

The exception is spring break when the town gets overrun with young people partying, who are seeking those same budget oriented opportunities for a cut loose week in warm weather.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another undecided snowbird

Well, we are thinking of doing the same in the furure, retired as well, and prob we will be in LHC again in november to do some more checking but we already had an experience by staying in Bullhead City Mohave county for the same reason. Stayed several days but decided this was not the place for us and LHC even is more remote. We're thinking of South Padre Island in Southern Texas and we also did our checking there for several days. Great beaches but not much action either. Now thinking of the Scottsdale area....

Tet

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another undecided snowbird

Go for it! Better yet - try Fountain Hills. It's beautiful - lots to do and lots of retirees and close by lots of action. :-)

Our daughter's in laws traveled every summer to find places to retire. He was a college professor. They were fortunate they had that kind of time to explore.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another undecided snowbird

Thx Thelrose. Looks like the Tountain of Youth....

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another undecided snowbird

Thanks for your reply's. Now I wonder about LH and what activities are left after we've golfed the golf courses and walked the walkways. I looked at other places and whats to do there, but really don't want to be doing paper mache as an afternoons activity. Any suggestions as to other complex's in Arizona to look at that are better suited?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another undecided snowbird

Tucson ---- http://www.mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

Edited: 09 April 2011, 03:21
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another undecided snowbird

Mesa! Lots of places to golf, lots of places to hike (we've been here four years and haven't run out of places to hike), lots of restaurants, excellent medical care, close to the airport.

I've probably said this before, but we thought we wanted to retire to a small town. We came to AZ on vacation for several years and checked out Oro Valley, Prescott, Sun Cities, Anthem, Benson and Payson and decided against all of them for varying reasons. Spent two years in a condo in Tempe (condo was a big mistake, Tempe was great), bought a house in an active living community in east Mesa and love it.

Jake and Tet, you should rent here for a month and try it out.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another undecided snowbird

Another good idea Marian. Mesa already had crossed our minds for that.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another undecided snowbird

I must say that Marian is spot on. We have been so impressed with east Mesa the past few years. My aunt was there visiting her son and family and I went to get her to spend a few days with us in Fountain Hills.. We were very impressed. They have built some lovely communities there, nice shopping etc. Very nice area indeed. We were just there last Saturday when we went to Mesa Swap Meet and now with the 202 loop completely finished, it is very easy to get around.

Get answers to your questions about Lake Havasu City
Recent Conversations