We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brand new snowbirds

calgary
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Brand new snowbirds

We are young retirees thinking of Lake Havasu for a home base for Jan and Feb. We like to golf and just hang out and meet people. Would like opinions if LH is a nice city in the winter..or we should be going to bigger areas like Mesa etc..Any advice would be helpful. Looking at condos or homes for rent

Mentioned in this post
Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu
594 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brand new snowbirds

We visited Lake Havasu briefly and were not impressed. We love the retired life in Mesa. And I know there are lots of Canadians here!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu
594 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
calgary
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brand new snowbirds

Thanks for this. Any specific reasons for not liking LH?

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brand new snowbirds

Good question - I think it seemed like a trumped up tourist destination in the middle of nowhere, but we may have not been there long enough to get a true feeling for the place. Hopefully someone can give you a second opinion. Or you could choose Mesa and check out Lake Havasu yourselves for the next time.

Mentioned in this post
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu
594 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brand new snowbirds

Congratulations on being young retirees!

I also haven't spent much time in LH. But I would think it would be good if you want to be by the water and plan to do water activities, if you prefer a more rural area, if you prefer a smaller town.

It's not too close to anything, like if you're hoping to do day trips. But I imagine it will provide an enjoyable two months. It's just that there's alot more to do in and around Mesa.

You won't believe how many Canadians winter in Arizona!

Mentioned in this post
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brand new snowbirds

Not only do Canadians winter in AZ, but we've met a lot who have retired there. I have been to Lake Havasu and was glad I went but wouldn't return. There really isn't much there unless you are a big fan of water activities. There are so many places in the general Phoenix area that are wonderful area for winter visits.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu
594 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,373 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brand new snowbirds

The down side of LH is that it is just so far away from EVERYTHING. We've learned to live with much less in terms of services and shopping options here in Sedona. But we still drive an hour to Flagstaff or Prescott or 2 hours to PHX for the big stuff. LH is twice as far or more.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
calgary
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brand new snowbirds

Thanks everyone for your comments. Now looks like Queens Creek is the destination. Any opinions?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,373 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brand new snowbirds

It's clear that you're looking for bargain locations. QC is not as remote as LH. That's for sure. The only resistance that IKO to more development at QC has been the economy and the commute to PHX during rush hours. If you aren't working and don't need to get to the city on a schedule, I'd think QC might be more desirable. Still light on services though.

calgary
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brand new snowbirds

Thanks for this. Its only for 2 winter months and yes, the monthly rental rate is for sure a factor. golfing, alittle shopping, clean good neighborhood is the important things

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brand new snowbirds

I really like Queen Creek. You can get amazing homes with views of mountains and acerage for buyers' prices. I have a friend who lives there and all of your basic needs can be met by the community. They even have a golf course in the area of Queen Creek now being referred to as San Tan Valley. It's peaceful out there. If you need to come in to Phoenix proper there are freeways nearby (60 and 202) but it will take you an hour or more depending upon where you are going.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Get answers to your questions about Lake Havasu City
Recent Conversations
;