We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPad question, Joburg and Port Elizabeth

Coventry
Level Contributor
5 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
iPad question, Joburg and Port Elizabeth

Hi peeps, I am volunteering overseas in a couple of weeks. I have an iPad which has a sim card from EE. What I want to do is skype home, update facebook, piddle about on the Internet. Will I need an African sim card and payg or something? I also have iPhone on contract to O2 and think I might need another sim for that to text home at minimal cost. Please, any techies, can you help?

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: iPad question, Joburg and Port Elizabeth

I have the Apple I Pad and was able to use it in Namibia and Jo'Burg without any changing of SIM cards. I used Message to send texts and I'm sure that if you have a good signal you will be able to use Face Time too.I also used the camera mode to take photos and video during my trip.I hope this helps you.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iPad question, Joburg and Port Elizabeth

you will be able to use it, just data roaming might be rather expensive. Same applys for your O2 iPhone.

I suggest getting a SA sim card on a pay as you go/prepaid basis. Otherwise, make use of Wifi wherever possible.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Coventry
Level Contributor
5 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iPad question, Joburg and Port Elizabeth

Thank you for your replies. Can I turn data roaming off, and still use wifi?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPad question, Joburg and Port Elizabeth

Yes you can. Go into your settings, and cellular data. switch to off.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

5. Re: iPad question, Joburg and Port Elizabeth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 09:47