We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari from Joburg

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
70 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Safari from Joburg

Hi,

This summer, as part of a round-the-world trip, I will be visiting Johannesburg for five days. I have always wanted to go on a safari, and I figured South Africa would be the best place to do that. I was wondering, what is the best park near Joburg for game viewing and an authentic safari around this time of year (June). Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari from Joburg

Without a doubt - Kruger National Park. 6 hours drive to the east. Easy to self drive or you can stay in a lodge and let rangers and trackers do the game spotting and driving for you.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari from Joburg

There are no places near Johannesburg, which offer "authentic" safaris.

Your best bet is Kruger National Park, about 4 to 5 hours drive from Johannesburg, or Madikwe, about 3 to 4 hours drive from Johannesburg, in the opposite direction from Kruger.

3. Re: Safari from Joburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 18:49