We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit to johannesburg

Manama, Al Manamah...
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
visit to johannesburg

HI all

I am planning to go to Joburg and this is the first time I will be visiting South Africa. I am planning to go mid of April.. Can anyone suggest me of the best things to do in Johannesburg. I am planning to stay there for 2 days. I know there are a list of things but would like to know what would be the best.. Also would like to know if I should stay for 1 or 2 days. I havent booked a hotel as yet.. So which area should I book the hotel in? Any suggestions on the hotel are welcome as well which are good and less expensive.. Thank you all in advance for your help.. Hoping to get some good replies. :)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit to johannesburg

Best area to stay in would be Sandton/Rosebank areas which are conveniently close to Gautrain stations which makes it easy to get to and from the airport. Organize a tour to Soweto and the Apartheid museum, this will take the better half of the day. For the second day buy a HOHO ticket and explore the city. Other options would include a tour to the cradle of humankind, pretoria etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
606 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visit to johannesburg

Was there in Mar last 13 and had a good safe time.

Suggest you visit Pilanesburg wild life reserve, this is next to Sun City. It is small enough for you to be certain to see wild animals there: giraffe, lions, antelopes, kudus, rhinos, maybe cape buffalo and hippo and is a short ride up north from Jburg. Sun City is also an enjoyable place to stay for tours, sites, and golf (if you play). Good hotels, reasonable rates.

Yes stay at Sandton, away from Jburg center which is a tough city. Lots of crime, not just petty theft, but armed robbers. Take more than the usual dose of safety precautions in Sandton, but OK in Sun City and Pilanesburg.

Manama, Al Manamah...
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visit to johannesburg

ok thanks.. :)

Manama, Al Manamah...
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visit to johannesburg

hi weimin,

thank you for your feedback... i will surely take care.. even i have heard that it is not safe in johannesburg.. might just visit for 1-2 days and get onto the hop on hop off bus and tour the city.. i guess this will be the safest way.. well as u recommended will check out a place to stay in sandton.. thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
606 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visit to johannesburg

Suaid M from Bahrein: forgot to mention the Elephants that come to the waterhole daily in the afternoon. This waterhole in front of the coffee house at Pilanesburg Game reserve hotel. Almost can touch them. Stay there if you have a chance, you won't regret it, see my photos uploaded on TA for this hotel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visit to johannesburg

As has been said many times over, safety in Johannesburg is the same as any major city. The HOHO bus actually takes you into areas that some consider to be the more dangerous parts of Joburg. I actually did it this weekend, and had no problems at all, and we walked well off the beaten track. The HOHO bus is a good way (not the best) to get a quick overview of Joburg CBD.

Most safety concerns are from pick pockets or being out late at night. As with any major city, do not overtly display your wealth - keep cameras discreet and keep jewellery to a minimum.

Basque Country
Level Contributor
99 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visit to johannesburg

I strongly recommend a visit to the Johannesburg CBD during the day, otherwise you will leave with a very partial view of Southern Africa's most important city. The regenerated areas of Braamfontein are also said to be great, my cousin was there last week as part of her Jo'Burg visit and she had a blast.

8. Re: visit to johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 11:49