We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent a car or public transport

1 post
Save Topic
rent a car or public transport

I' m visiting Johannesburg for only 2 days and my main goal is to visit the lion park plus city site seeing. So is it better to rent a car and drive on my own or depend on public transport and taxis??

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rent a car or public transport

For city sightseeing, there is the Hop on hop off bus.

There is no public transport to the Lion Park.

Your choices here are;

Rent a car

Take a taxi

Book an excursion with a tour company

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rent a car or public transport

Please read the Top questions post in the top right about Lion Petting

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rent a car or public transport

The Top Questions list is not visible from the mobile site or the app. Here's the thread in question:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k644…

Edited: 18 February 2014, 20:43
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: rent a car or public transport

I would definitely rent a car. The roads in and around jhb are generally in good condition, and with the assistance of a GPS or good directions, the lion park and other sights will be easy to find.

Private taxi's are pricy... and I wouldn't advise for you to use public transport, you'd have to take a number of different taxis to get to the lion park with a fair amount of walking in between.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rent a car or public transport

Rent a car and go to the Rhion and Lion park a mich better park to go to then the Lion park!

And do the HOHO bus trip I. The city

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
604 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rent a car or public transport

I do not recommend driving, it is fraught with danger. Hire a car with driver and take him to Pilanesburg Wild life park where you can view giraffe, rhino, lion, kudu, jackal, elephants, antelopes maybe hippo and buffalo. Roads are unlit at night and fraught with hijack potential.

London, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rent a car or public transport

Driving in Johannesburg area is not fraught with danger at all!

We have recently (last week) returned from a 15 day holiday to SA - 10 days of which were spent in Johannesburg.

We rented a car from the airport, stayed in a wonderful hotel in Fourways (about 45 mins drive from the airport) and did over 3,000 km (over 1,800 miles) driving to Lion Park, Pretoria area, Hartebeesport etc etc.

Never once while driving (or walking around)did we feel in danger or threatened. In fact i far preferred driving in Johannesburg and surrounds than I do in London.

For anyone contemplating hiring a car, i would say go for it! Keep your wits about you, remain alert as you would in any big city while driving, and you will be fine.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 17:19
8. Re: rent a car or public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 10:46