We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young couple -- Johannesburg for 3 days Thursday-Sunday

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
138 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Young couple -- Johannesburg for 3 days Thursday-Sunday

Hi,

We are trying to decide between staying in Rosebank, Melrose Arch, or Standton.

We will not have the use of a car and plan to visit Cube tasting kitchen and Aparthied Museum. we are looking for an area that is fun, shops are not a requirement. But, nightlife and the ability to walk pretty freely with a lot to do and see.

Please, please tell me the differences between the areas and which one would be more suitable for a young, hip couple.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young couple -- Johannesburg for 3 days Thursday-Sunday

Rosebank is your best bet.

There are a number of hotels almost across the street from the Gautrain station.

The Cube tasting kitchen is about 2 Km from the Gautrain Station.

Easily walkable, if you like.

The Apartheid Museum is some distance away, so use the Gautrain to get to the PArk Station in Downtown, then take the Ho Ho Bus, which stops at the Apartheid Museum.

Otherwise you'd need to take a taxi to the Apartheid Museum.

Taking The Ho Ho Bus, you'll see a bit more of our city, which actually has a larger area than New York City..about 650 Sq. miles, as opposed to about 500Sq. miles for New York... not nearly as densely populated, though!

Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young couple -- Johannesburg for 3 days Thursday-Sunday

Thanks Gavin.

Is Rosebank best because it's close to activities or because it is a happening place where we can walk out of a hotel to bars, restaurants, etc.?

Edited: 12 January 2014, 15:36
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young couple -- Johannesburg for 3 days Thursday-Sunday

Both

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young couple -- Johannesburg for 3 days Thursday-Sunday

Melrose Arch is a gated development with upmarket bars and restaurants as well as offices and accomodation. Very safe but a bit artificial.

Rosebank is a bit more laid back and attracts a younger crowd, also a bit more of a 'real' community. Fewer fancy restaurants, more clubs. The Parkhurst / Parktown North strip (where Cube is) is close by for smarter (but still casual) restaurants, cafes and bars (1-2km). Greenside is also pretty close which is good area for going out a bit later.

Sandton is much more upmarket with smart hotels and restaurants - more high-end and business travellers.

I would pick Rosebank. Nice in itself with good proximity to both the Gautrain and Parkhurst / Greenside. Walking within the area is feasible and you can hail a metered taxi to Parkhurst / Greenside for R50-R80 (negotiate or phone ahead).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young couple -- Johannesburg for 3 days Thursday-Sunday

Another place you might like to consider is Melville. There is more on-street dining and bar options. Melville (5th street) is a little less "clean" than Rosebank, but a lot more fun in my opinion. However the accommodation options are less and a less "safer" option. Here is more on it:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312578-i9273-k709…

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Young couple -- Johannesburg for 3 days Thursday-Sunday

Hi Young couple

Rosebank, Melrose Arch and Sandton are all pretty upmarket areas, and if you're planning on staying at a hotel, all the 4-5 star hotels in those areas would be pretty much standard with anywhere else in the world.

Sandton and Melrose Arch can be a little pretentious, I'd recommend Rosebank for an area with a little more character. If you're here on a Saturday morning, I'd highly recommend the Neighbourhood Goods Market, (www.neighbourgoodsmarket.co.za/) for some really good food and to mix with the local hipsters and cool kids.

I'd recommend Parkhurst for some vibey restaurants and bars in the evenings. Greenside if you want to have a drink and party till the early morning, they're also pretty close to each other.

Hope that helps...

7. Re: Young couple -- Johannesburg for 3 days Thursday-Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 10:48