We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Johannesburg

Connecticut
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Two days in Johannesburg

My husband and I plan to arrive early Sunday morning 29 Jan from NYC via Heathrow--ie 2 nights on airplanes, so we will be tired. We will join a Botswana trip monday evening. I booked a B@B in Linden--not sure how practical that is, but it looked nice and was inexpensive. We would like to go to the Apartheid Museum, which is closed Monday according to website, so we would have to go the day of our arrival.

My questions are 1. How would we get to the Apartheid Museum? I think we will be too tired to rent a car.

2. Any particular advice about Soweto tours? Probably we would do an all day one.

3. We like live jazz and Latin (ie West African) music. I have read about the Baseline Club. Is it open? Can we just assume they have jazz on Sunday evening? Can you recommend other clubs? We are middle aged and will be tired so it could not be too late. Thanks

geneva
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days in Johannesburg

www.sowetocycletours.com may be able to organize something interesting for you, such as a half day or full day in Soweto...as for the Apartheid museum you could just get a cab...plan on spending at least a half day there, it's an amazing museum.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days in Johannesburg

Hi there

Linden is about a 20 minute drive from the Apartheid museum so you could ask the guest house to book a cab for you.

I am unfamiliar with the bassline club, but you could go to Katzy's in Rosebank, who usually have live jazz every night. There is an excellent restaurant next door called The Grillhouse, so you could make an evening out of it.

There are lots of Soweto tour operators and it is best to make it a full day as it is quite far out.

I would search under the forum "soweto tours" for more detail.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
651 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days in Johannesburg

Katzys has live music on every night except Sunday. So you'll not have much luck there.

There is a new jazz club, which I have not been to, but which is recommended in Morningside, cnr Rivonia Rd and 1st Ave., called 021 Club. Cannot give 1st hand feedback yet.

Another option for jazz on Sunday might be the Park Hyatt Hotel in Rosebank. They have occasional live performances, you'd just need to call and enquire on the day.

Bassline is sadly no longer a jazz club. Since moving to Newtown, it's becoming mainly a large concert venue, with jazz shows few times during the year.

4. Re: Two days in Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 15:52