We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

Butterworth...
2 posts
Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

Please assit me providing address of a safe and affordable accommodation (may be B&B) close to Wits University in Johannesburg.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
1. Re: Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

There are many B&B's in Melville, which is a quick hop by taxi (or hired car) to Wits. Also look at the Auckland Park neighbourhood. Use the TA reviews to narrow your list.

HTH

Kurt

Butterworth...
2 posts
2. Re: Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

Thanks.

Do you recommend any or know name and contact number?

Twistetal
2 posts
3. Re: Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

Hi there, I also found some other options / sites... there are plenty now since the high expectations have not been met and hotels, lodges etc are becoming more eagerly to sell their rooms, found these 3 sites quite useful:

www.safarinow.com

www.southafrica-2010-accommodation.com

www.staywithus.org.za

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

What a wrong assumption!!! the websites you mention have been in existence (other than the 2010 one) since many years and many other websites as well. You make it sound as if SA now is desperate?!?!?

have a look at the following:

www.travelbook.co.za

www.sa-venues.com

www.wheretostay.co.za

www.safarinow.com

www.places.co.za

www.roomsforafrica.com

www.sleeping-out.co.za

www.krugerpark-direct.com

www.stayinsa.co.za

www.saexplorer.co.za

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Twistetal
2 posts
5. Re: Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

Hi there... I do not out the South Africa down I'm just being realistic about the assumption that overseas visitors have a loots of cash and therefore can fork out crazy prices for the world cup.

Some hotels / guesthouses charge 5 times and more the amount of their "normal high season rate". I'm working in the travel industry and have seen this first hand. South Africa is already an exotic destination, which means flights are expensive. So instead of the "cash grab" rather use the event to promote the Country. The 3 sites I posted were simply suggestions.

Anyway the ones that do charge fair prices will be booked and the rest will just stay empty handed.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

I just react allergic when people generalise.

As you are in the travelindustry. you should know that:

A: SOME have increased their rates ridiculously but there are more examples of those who have not

B: the websites are just not coming up because of the "expectations not beeing met", they have been there for many years as a good marketing tool

C: assumptions about overseas visistors having money may be right, but the very same people are also well travelled and understand the balance between rates, service and general cost in a specific country and know what the rates can and should be

D: the whole "ripp off" discussion has been dealt with in abundance on TA and I dont think that starting it once again will help you as a travel agent (or something else) nor the reliable establishments.

I am out of here!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,344 posts
7. Re: Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

muehlser

What on earth has the World Cup got to do with this post?

The OP is from Butterworth in the Eastern Cape. Presumably he is going on a course or conference at Wits and needs accommodation near the university - who knows maybe next week. As Klaus says there is plenty of discussion of World Cup pricing on the TA World Cup forum where youcan, of course, go and contribute if you have any new ideas. This is a forum for normal travel to Johannesburg.

You may be "working in the travel industry" but not sure you understand about normal accommodation booking websites, which, maybe surprising to you, we in South Africa have been using for years!

8. Re: Accommodation, affordable and safe near Wits University

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2010, 11:48