We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help w/ JoBurg Itinerary (Long Layover + 2 nights(

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Help w/ JoBurg Itinerary (Long Layover + 2 nights(

Hi All. Any feedback you can provide on the itinerary below and/or alternatives is greatly appreciated!

Nov 14th:

Arrival: 8:15am from EWR

Tour of Soweto & Apartheid tour (w/ MoAfrika)

Departure at 3:30pm for CPT

Would it be beneficial to pay for an expedited transfer on arrival so that we can start the tour on time? What time should we target being back to the airport for the departure to CPT? Is this a doable day trip? I don't want to simply 'view' Johannesburg from a HOHO bus and would rather have a private tour where I can interact with locals and get first hand knowledge of the culture. Our flights are connected so I do not believe there would be a need to retrieve them and then recheck them for the domestic leg for CPT. If this assumption is incorrect, please let me know.

Nov 17th:

Arrival back in Johannesburg 6:40pm for a 2 night stay in the Sandton area (likely Radisson Blu or Park Inn)

For an arrival this time of day, what is the quickest mode of transportation to the hotel? We would prefer not to have to take the train as im not a fan of dragging luggage around and would prefer to take a car. But since time is limited getting to the hotel as quickly as possible is a top priority.

What, if anything could we plan to do this evening?

Nov 18th:

Day trip to Pilanesberg

Ideally I would like to arrive back at the hotel at a reasonable time to be able to enjoy a late afternoon/early evening in the area. Is this unrealistic?

Nov 19th:

Depart at 9:45am for MRU

At what time should we arrive at the airport for this international flight? Is it worthwhile to pay for expedited service such as BidAir?

Again, thanks in advance for all your feedback!

5 replies to this topic
1. Re: Help w/ JoBurg Itinerary (Long Layover + 2 nights(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 19:41

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
705 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Help w/ JoBurg Itinerary (Long Layover + 2 nights(

You won't be able to do both Apartheid Museum and Soweto before your CT flight. I'm not sure if changing your CT flight to later would be option (there are many flights every hour). To avoid notorious Joburg traffic I would leave bags in self storage at airport hop on Gautrain to Park Station and meet your tour guide there. There's plenty nightlife in Sandton and surrounds for Saturday 17th, just depends on your interests.

Quickest transfer to your hotel from airport will be Uber if train not option when you come back from CT. Sunday after Pilabesberg would recommend Maboneng precinct which is lively on Sundays well into evening.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
3. Re: Help w/ JoBurg Itinerary (Long Layover + 2 nights(

Thank you both for your insight and suggestion. Would it be more efficient to just recheck the bags prior to heading to the city or store them and then check them before the departure to CPT?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
705 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Help w/ JoBurg Itinerary (Long Layover + 2 nights(

Will be too early to check in for your flight. Other option is to get tour to start and end at airport and store luggage in tour car/van.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
625 reviews
5. Re: Help w/ JoBurg Itinerary (Long Layover + 2 nights(

I think you can recheck them in, as you are one ticket. The recheck in desks are just as you exit customs on the left.

However, I wouldn't leave my case in transit for such a long time at JNB, as it may be temoting to any would be thieves.

As SepSep says, best would be to take it with you on a private tour.

Reply to: Help w/ JoBurg Itinerary (Long Layover + 2 nights(
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted