We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Taster

Portsmouth, United...
1 post
Safari Taster

My son will have a few days in Johannesburg and would like to get a flavour of a Safari. Is it possible to get perhaps a mini three day trip to Kruger to see some animals and take advantage of this short time. Any tour recommendations and trusted tour operators?

5 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Safari Taster

Many people do 3 day trips to Kruger so it’s not really a taste - that’s all they get!

He has a few options - in any budget. Just fly to Hoedspruit and rent a car or get a transfer to one of the private reserve lodges. There are many in any budget. Or use http://ashtonstours.com. Click on the Lodge and Shuttles tab for options. Or fly to Skukuza and rent a car and enjoy a self drive in Kruger watching the wildlife. Stay in Skukuza rest camp. Book at https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/. Or contact Wild Wings if they have availability on their 3 or 4 day safari. https:/…

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Safari Taster

Hello and just to give another option: Take a look at Nambiti Pvt Game Reserve its a 3 ish hour drive south of Jo'Burg. Its a stunning reserve and you will be very well looked after!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
1 review
3. Re: Safari Taster

What kind of budget does he have for this trip?

hampshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Safari Taster

He is on a low budget, needs to keep the cost down, prepared to "rough it" a bit if he has to.

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Safari Taster

I just did this’s couple of weeks ago.

At the last minute - ie a week before flying out - I jettisoned my plans for a 1-day trip to pilanesburg and a couple of days exploring Johannesburg (which is easier said than done to do safely). Instead, I did a 3-night trio to Krueger. A private lodge, daily drives, all inclusive.

‘It was fabulous.

And ironically, it was less expensive than staying in Joberg. Between a hotel in a safe area (the conference hotel I had to be in when I returned in sandtonmwas something like 1800 rand per night. Then guides with a driver were 2200 rand and up. Pilanesburg was not inexpensive for a one day trip. Etc. I was booking Krueger off season (late May) and last minute, so they waived single supplements, upgraded my room, etc., so it was a lower price than it would have been during peak season. But it was a wonderful kind of casual luxury, with amazing animal sightings, and all of the benefits of a private lodge. At what was considerably less than most people spend on a vacation to basically any city in the world.

Glenn at Go Safari (which I picked based on deservedly high reviews here on Trip Advisor) made it happen. The turnaround time, responsiveness, and great outcome were impressive, and I would highly recommend them.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 17:40
Reply to: Safari Taster
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg