We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

Hi,

Are there other hotels besides InterContinental which are within walking distance to the airport? Intercontinental looks great but is too pricey for what will essentially be just a 7 hours stay. We are worried that hotels with airport shuttles do not run their shuttles that early. We have an international flight at 6 am. Thanks for your help!

8 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

City Lodge is inside the terminal. The hotel shuttles run when there are flights so no worries about your early flight if there’s another hotel you’d prefer.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
2. Re: Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

City Lodge would be the best.

Connected to the terminal by a covered walkway.

Less than 5 minutes walk from terminal to hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

Thanks guys!

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
471 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

If you go for City lodge have a good look at the reservation letter. I had to confirm the booking with my creditcard separate because they would only keep it until 6 p.m. Would be ashame to have lost the room when you arrive late.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

Thanks for the warning @Ineke N! Greatly appreciated as we are only arriving around 8pm so I will check to make sure they hold our reservation till then.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
86 reviews
6. Re: Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

Hello forum,

I picked the City Lodge OR Tambo Johannesburg Airport Hotel based on the fact that I am arriving from Atlanta in the evening, and departing for Botswana the following morning.

Can anyone let me know if there are signs pointing to the hotel once I pass Customs Immigrations (flight from USA). It is a long flight and this seems like an easy choice as it is walking distance...if I find my way to their reception!

Thanks in advance

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
7. Re: Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

Once you have negotiated the entry formalities, etc; you come out through the sliding doors into the public area of Terminal A arrivals, where you may see a number of people with name boards, awaiting their relatives/ clients,etc.

In front of you will be a twice life size statue of Oliver Tambo.

Go past the statue, towards the doors which lead to the outside of the terminal and take a lift, or escalator UP ONE level.

There are two sets of lifts and escalators going up, one set each side of the exit doors...either side will do.

Go around the open circular "atrium", and follow the signs....you will be walking away the terminal, along a covered walkway.

On the left, you'll see through the open dorways, and windows, parked cars.

On the right, you'll see the Intercontinental hotel through the windows.

Continue walking in the same direction as far as you can.

You will pass another set of lifts ( keep to the left of these).

Keep going.

There are toilets and more lifts on the right, just before the very end of the walkway.

Go to the last lifts on the right, just before the glass doors, and take a lift to the hotel lobby.

It sounds a long way, but it will only take about 5 or 7 minutes.

QED (quite easily done ) ☺☺

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
86 reviews
8. Re: Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport

@Gavin,

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! Thank you so much for the detailed instructions.

Reply to: Hotel within walking distance to OR Tambo Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted