We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeeome SP Reopening Event

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,762 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Jeeome SP Reopening Event

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/JERO/index.html

If you happen to be in or around Jerome on Thursday Oct 14th, make plans to attend the Grand re-opeing of the Historic Jerome State Park and Museum.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeeome SP Reopening Event

Is the town itself the State Park?

Link says it is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays... is anything open in the town those days?

I am confused.

Edited: 15 October 2010, 02:02
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,762 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeeome SP Reopening Event

The reopening is at the official state park building and mining museum. It is located in the basin below the town's business district. The town is open daily during regular business hours. But be advised Jerome is not a regular kind of place.

Read up on the history of Jerome. It was once the largest city in Arizona and it is still the largest source of silver in the world.

Edited: 15 October 2010, 02:10
Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeeome SP Reopening Event

we drove through Jerome on the way from Grand Canyon to Vegas ( wanted a scenic route) in 2009, but the couple we were with were in a hurry to get to Vegas... their first time... so we did not stop..... I read up on Jerome after we got back and that is why I want to go back and spend some time there.

Tewksbury
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeeome SP Reopening Event

We just returned from AZ. We had booked a van tour out of our Scottsdale resort, with stops at Montezuma's Castle, Sedona and Jerome in that order. By the time we hit Jerome all we had there was 20 minutes!!!!! My husband and I both looked at each and said we have to come back on our own and we did the next day. We toured the newly opened museum first and found it a great take, interesting exhibits and an informative short movie that gave us an overview of Jerome's history. As you drive away from the museum don't pass up checking out the Audrey Shaftt Headframe of the Little Daisy Mine. (On the left coming out of the lot, enclosed by a fence). Don't miss peeking down the 1900 ft shaft. We had a lovely lunch at "Grapes" (best lunch we had all week) and the view couldn't have been more breathtaking.. We spent the rest of the afternoon browsing around the shops and checking out the old buildings. The historical society there has a done a great job of identifying interesting spots all around the town. All in all a wonderful day in Jerome. Go! You won't be disappointed! As far as booking that particular multi-stop tour we wouldn't reccomend it. Skip all the resort pick-ups/dropoffs that take so much time away from the actual touring and drive there yourself . I'd drive to Sedona first, get your camera clicking and take in all the beauty there. But as far as shopping goes I found the Sedona shops to be either too " touristy" or too $$$$ so save lunch and shopping for Jerome.To end the day, stop at Montezuma's Castle to be amazed at what the ancient people there did. Talk about a hi-rise penthouse!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,762 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeeome SP Reopening Event

ForeverMoor, thanks for the review of your day in Jerome. You discovered on the day before, why I do not recommend day trips from Scottsdale with the tour companies.

The drive to Sedona and Jerome is easy enough to do on your own and having control of your own time makes so much difference. Skip the touristy shops and souvenir stands in favor of the trails and natural beauty that you can find at every turn. Better yet, spend a few nights in Sedona to lessen the time on the highways.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeeome SP Reopening Event

I was at the Grand Re-Opening, it was great and a very proud moment for Jerome, Cottonwood and all Verde Valley residents.

As for the Jerome State Park days/hours, they are Thursday to Monday, 8:30am to 5pm, closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Here is a link to their website where you will find a great video of the event as well as more information!

www.pr.state.az.us/parks/JERO/index.html

The State park is a fantastic place to visit but it's NOT the whole town.

Sedona is great for hiking and it's red rocks, Jerome is very "different" as mentioned by RedRox, and the "hours of operation" of the different shops are pretty lax to say the least because it is an artsy/hippy kind of place! It offers great shops, restaurants, views and history.

Grapes is a great restaurant which is owned by the same person who owns the Haunted Hamburger in Jerome and Nic's and The Tavern in Old Town Cottonwood, all of which offer tasty food at a reasonable price.

20 minutes in Jerome!? It's a little teaser and seems almost not worth to have made the drive up there only to give you the taste to come back and check it out for a day or two! There are so many things to to around the Verde Valley, you could come for a week and not run out of things to do and see!

Tewksbury
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeeome SP Reopening Event

I agree the ride from Scottsdale to the Verde Valley is easy enough to do on your own and makes for an enjoyable drive. It's the first time we had been anywhere in the Southwest and were amazed at the differences in terrain... a surprise around every bend of the road! We spent another day up that way taking in Tuzigoot in the morning, riding the scenic Verde Canyon RR in the afternoon and catching an awesome sunset on the drive back down to Scottsdale. Boy, did we enjoy the Verde Canyon RR. On a cruise to Alaska a couple of years ago we rode the White Pass & Yukon RR out of Skagway and that was the highlight of the cruise for us. www.wpyr.com/ So when I came across the Verde Canyon train we decided we had to give that one a try. Interesting how the RR came into play with the history of Jerome as well.

8. Re: Jeeome SP Reopening Event

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2011, 11:20
Get answers to your questions about Jerome
Recent Conversations