We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
173 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

Hi guys

I've been to Sharm and Hurghada, but I'm wondering what's the difference between those two resorts with regard to Marsa Alam?

Are the beaches better? Is it more relaxed? Or is it just the same but newer?

Also if we go - haven't booked yet - what hotel on AI would you recommend for a mature-ish couple?

BTW we're going in April.

Lou

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
633 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

Hi lulujack,

Sharm's like Blackpool on speed,Hurghada's a little bit less hectic,Marsa Alam's quiet,very quiet.Pretty much all the hotels are hotel based,there's not really anywhere to go,so if you want a hotel based relaxing break Marsa Alam may be the place for you,if you want shops,bars,restaurants,and night clubs,forget it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers skybluefish52

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
633 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

Hi lulujack,

It's me again,just an after thought really,we have been to Brayka Bay twice,and although it may not be the best hotel in the area,the snorkeling off the very good beach is IMO as good as you will get anywhere.This Christmas we went to The Resta Grand Resort for a change and had a fantastic trip,for the money it's got to be worth a look,read some of the reviews,they're not too bad.

Cheers skybluefish52

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

We are booked at the Resta Reef in April, has good writeups so far, fingers crossed

northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
173 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

What I don't get about Marsa Alam is the lack of resort. Are there any shops - bar the hotel rip off shops -you can buy trinkets and cigs????

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
633 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

Hi lulujack,

Although I've been to Marsa Alam 4 times.I've never actually been to the town of Marsa Alam,it's only a small town,with not much going on apparently.All the hotels that use Marsa Alam as their address,are in fact about 20k from it,and are built along the coast line in the desert,nowhere near anywhere.So very few shops,and restaurants,and no night clubs etc,just desert and hotels.Not like Sharm or Hurghada at all. Hope this explains it a little better for you.

Cheers skybluefish52

PS there are the odd small supermarkets and tat shops along the road where you can buy ciggies etc,but they are few and far between.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 16:15
Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
455 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

Hi lulujack, it's Luke from Emperor Divers and Oceans Red Sea in Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib. As skybluefish52 points out, 'Marsa Alam' is a ribbon development and not a town as such when you look at the area from a tourist point of view. Generally the whole area can be described as radiating from the airport (which is actually next to Port Ghalib) heading 70km north to El Quesir and 65km south to Marsa Alam town, and even beyond. The hotels hug the coastline, you don't find many landlocked hotels here and as such it is hard to find a centre as you can in Sharm (Blackpool on speed lol) and Hurghada. You can still visit a town if you want though, to shop or look around, and depending on which hotel you go to you should find yourself able to visit either Quesir or Marsa Alam by organised tour or 'limousine' (taxi organised within the hotel). Marsa is smaller, more European but still not used to tourists (there are a couple of Italian restaurants and cafes if you fancy a good meal out) while Quesir is seriously local, with quite a lot of history. Either way you will find a bigger range and better prices for trinkets and such in both towns. Port Ghalib has some restaurants on it's corniche but these are mostly Western franchises (you'll find a more detailed thread on this if you search) and a string of bazaars too so it can be an option too rather than the towns - it's very quiet at the moment though and I'm not sure how cheap the bazaars are.

I can't really recommend specific hotels, but I think no matter which you'll choose you will find this whole area a lot more relaxed than Sharm or Hurghada - I wouldn't choose anywhere else :)

@Josiem, enjoy your trip - actually the reviews have just been getting better and better for that hotel, you'll like it I'm sure.

Regards,

Luke.

northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
173 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

Thanks for your replies, guys.

We're thinking of opting for the Hilton, as it's new and the reviews are v good. Last year we went to Sharm and stayed firstly at some godforsaken place near Nama Bay, couldn't stand it and went and lived the high life at The Savoy in Soho Square and I have to say it's the best hotel we've ever stayed at because you can dine out at any of the restaurants in Soho Sq. I've visited Hurghada and stayed out of town on a beautiful beach in a not ver good hotel. I've visited Taba - twice at the Hilton there, but that was long ago and I know there's absolutely nothing to do.

It seems to me that Egypt is v cheap at the mo compared to other destinations, that's why it's ticking my boxes and as Marsa Alam is new and, I guess, up and coming, it seems an interesting place for a two week chill out!

Any views on the Hilton???

Lou

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
190 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

If you like fantastic food, staff, beautiful rooms and a total chill out; The Hilton in Marsa Alam is just the ticket. We've previously stayed at The Hyatt, Marriott, Sofitel and Radisson in Taba ( +Sharm several years ago). The Hilton beat them all, we would love to go back. Also the snorkelling is awesome!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

PB

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

Hi Lou,

I've stayed at many different hotels in Sharm including the Hyatt and all the four Hiltons.

Obviously being a very new hotel, the Hilton in Marsa Alam is of a very high standard, rooms are nice and modern and I found the staff were great - same as you should encounter at any Hilton in Egypt.

I chose the Hilton Marsa Alam for my first visit to Marsa last year and I was

really impressed.

Yes, the hotels are more spread out that Sharm, but all the hotels have a few little shops and you can walk from the Hilton along the bay to the SolyMar and check out their shops aswell.

Having snorkelled extensively in the Sharm area, I would say the marine life at the Hilton is very similar to Sharm, with notable exceptions being the turtles, guitar sharks & some lovely crocodile fish.

Personally I go to egypt to snorkel & relax so I'm not really bothered about shops.

One thing to note is that the Airport transfers are likely to be more expensive than Sharm, so bear that in mind if you book flight & hotel seperately.

MM.

10. Re: Marsa Alam, Sharm or Hurghada????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:13
Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam
Recent Conversations