We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reaching Newport from London

netherlands
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Reaching Newport from London

I am reaching London on 30th April 2010 and want to leave directly for Newport. What are the means? Train/bus/ferry? Starting point in London and destination place. For example in case of train which stations to put has origin and destination. How is the car drive?

Would appreciate any info for planning my trip

Thanks

Ana

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reaching Newport from London

Which Newport do you mean? I see you've posted in the Pembrokeshire Forum, where there is a little place called Newport, but there's also a fairly large town in Wales called Newport too!

Either way, if you are getting the train, First Great Western run trains between London and south Wales (www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk). Cheapest tickets are for specified trains only you have to travel on the train you book on. The more flexible tickets are more expensive.

If you are going to Newport Pembrokeshire you'd need to get the train to Fishguard. A quick look on First Great Western's website shows a journey time of between four and a half and five and a quarter hours, with a change of train in Cardiff. The other Newport ("Newport Gwent" in the drop down menu on the train website) is a lot closer to London, journey time by train would be about one hour fifty minutes.

I don't travel very much by coach so can't help with detailed info, but check out National Express (http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx) for info on fares and times.

If you are arriving at Heathrow before travelling on to whichever Newport you can avoid going into London by getting the bus to Reading and the train from Reading to Newport (you can buy a combined ticket). From Gatwick you can also avoid central London and take a train to Reading and then pick up the train to Newport.

netherlands
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reaching Newport from London

Thank you for the response..it did clarify a lot of things! I think it is the Newport -related to Fishguard because the hotel site mentions that! The tip on going to Reading is a great one...would surely consider that. I am landing in Heathrow but my companion is landing in London city almost at the same time so we have to decide on a meeting point.

When I checked nationalrail website it showed a travel time of 2.5 hrs from Paddington to Fishguard...so am bit of confused there..not to mention advance tickets are not avail. anymore :( but I think "anytime" tickets will have to do. I will check on the coaches.

I have also asked the Hotel to clarify some stuff. I was even thinking about hiring a car but driving through busy London city at the first go is a bit unsettling though I am used to left side driving.

Wales U K
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reaching Newport from London

there are only two trains every 24 hrs to fishguard

better to catch a train to haverfordwest from Reading as suggested by gweilch

and then abus to newport

HOWEVER

1 you will find the cost of flexible train travel much more expensive than in Netherlands

2 last bus from Haverfordwest station to Newport is 7.45 pm

3 google trainline for train times

4 www.GoByBus.info for buses from Haverfordwest to Newport

5 Another option would be one way car hire from Heathrow to Fishguard.Return your car to fishguard the following day...wander around Fishguard and short bus journey back to Newport.Your friend could catch train or coach to Reading or Bristol Parkway and you could collect there without driving into London

6.You will be travelling on the Friday before May Bank Holiday weekend.The roads will be very busy as will be the trains.....anticipate a lengthy journey !!

If you need any more info let me know as I live in Newport

Wales
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reaching Newport from London

And as Gweilch hints, if you are going to Newport Pembrokeshire, make sure you don't get off the train in Newport Gwent - the stop after Bristol Parkway and before Cardiff Central!

netherlands
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reaching Newport from London

Thanks for the inputs..I checked out the train timings...most feasible is via Reading but I am spending almost the entire day traveling from London to Newport :(

I tried looking at the http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx for coaches as suggested by Gweilchyn but the destination drop down doesnt have Newport or Fishguard so I dont know what to select! And for some reason www.GoByBus.info as suggested by cyfreithwr is not opening on my comp. Is there any other websites for buses?

Increasingly I am feeling that I wud need to hire a car. Do you reckon the traffic due to May Bank Holiday will start early on Friday. We will land in London by 7:30 am or so.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
518 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reaching Newport from London

The National Express coaches go from London to Haverfordwest, they are much slower than the trains usually, then you would have to take a local bus to Newport. North Pembrokeshire is not well served by public transport.

Another route is train to Carmarthen (about 4 hours from central London) and then the Traws Cambria bus to Cardigan and local bus or even taxi to Newport. Google Traws Cambria for times. Why don't you consider getting the train to Carmarthen, avoiding the busy bit of the journey by road, and hiring a car there?

I seem to spend quite a lot of my time trying to go north/ south in West Wales and it is a nightmare.

It would have been much easier and cheaper if you had flown from Schiphol to Cardiff, but I suppose it's too late now for that

Good luck!

Wales U K
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reaching Newport from London

these are your best rail options on the basis you arrive Heathrow 7.30 approx

1.You may be able to catch 7.57 heathrow express to london paddington to catch the 8.45 to fishguard harbour changing at swansea .this is the only daytime train to fishguard and connects with the irish ferry.it arrives fishguard harbour at 1.15.then bus or taxi 7 miles to newport

2.coach at 8.00 from heathrow to reading to connect with the train referred to above which leaves reading at 9.11..the coach is due to arrive reading station at 9.06 so get ready to sprint!!!!!

3.the above timings are probably too tight so catch a later coach...they leave every 20mins to reading to connect with 10.11 train from reading to haverfordwest arriving 2.22.then catch bus to newport ...the buses leave every 30/45 mins or so and take one hour... or take <expensive> taxi

these websites should assist railair.com trainline and traveline cymru

i need a stiff drink

netherlands
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reaching Newport from London

You guys are great! I think I know what I need to do which is excellent becoz in the evening I was almost giving up and thinking about canceling my hotel reservations in Newport or at min. spending 30th in London itself and taking early morning train on 1st May. I totally agree cyfreithwr...a drink is in order..I was drained out during afternoon researching all the options....I wish I could say "my treat"..

Finally, I think I will take the coach to Reading then train to Haverfordwest and then bus to Newport or if taxi is not too expensive (expensive is okay)...have all the timetables saved to be printed...

Thanks a bunch again...

9. Re: Reaching Newport from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Newport