We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy black pearls

queens,ny
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
where to buy black pearls

i will be going to Bora Bora in July and was wondering where the best place is to buy black pearls ?

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to buy black pearls

Hello Spikes

depends on that you are looking for. If you are looking for a very nice Pearl I would recommend Nycos Pearl Shop. If you are looking for Souvenir Pearls the market in Vaitape has a nice selection of souvenir pearl earrings, braceletts, pendants.

Also the gift shops at the Hotels have nice Pearls, for example at the Hotel Bora Bora, LeMeridien etc. the giftshops have nice Pearl and experienced staff to help you with your selection.

If you happen to go to Nycos in Vaitape, that USD15000.00

12-15mm string of 39Pearls with a blue luster has my name on it..............just dreaming:):):):):):):

Regards

BO

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to buy black pearls

Oh...........my gosh..........please Meheio ask Trip Advisor for spell check again. Read my post.............they will kick me of TA for Typos and spelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! really it's more typos then spelling:)

Bo

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to buy black pearls

Ia orana

Have indeed asked for spell check again, believe me.... ( for Bo')

For the Pearls ask 1000 locals and get 1000 responses as for their favorite Pearl shops.

Shop around at first, one pearl will have that perfect size, color( matching her eyes ) and price ( matching your budget ) on that unique setting....

Best of luck shopping

meherio

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,494 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to buy black pearls

In Bora Bora the cost for pearls will most likely be higher than places like Moorea. Also, believe it or not, some of the best deals are at the airport in Papeete.... :0

sunny regards,

shully

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to buy black pearls

Ia Orana

The shop at tha terminal at Faaa airport has been quite often that last minute shopping place with quite a selecion ( of prices/ quality and mountings).

Enjoy

Meherio

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
390 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to buy black pearls

I concur with Shully and Meherio about the pearl shop in the Tahiti airport. I scored a very nice pair of earrings with a very cool eggplant luster at an excellent price. I saw a similar pair in Bora Bora for about 20% more.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to buy black pearls

The Tahiti airport shop is called Mareiti and it has quite a nice selection at reasonable prices. It's good to at least stop by and window shop when you first arrive, to get an idea of costs for comparison. Here's their website: http://www.tahiti1.com/mareiti/indexen.htm

In Papeete is the 3-story Tahiti Pearl Market, which sells loose or mounted pearls in every category and price imaginable. On Moorea, Tahia Collins and Pai Moana are my favorites!

Remember that gold is VERY expensive in FP, and think about buying loose pearls to bring home and have set into earrings or a ring or a pendant or necklace by your local jeweler.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
97 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to buy black pearls

Hi Spikes!

You're talking about pearls so I have to take part in the conversation... I just go crazy when it comes to pearls...

according to the different pearls shops I've been in, and the different pieces I've bought and can tell you that I'll go to Nyco's to get pearls from now on... Simply because the pearls quality there is certified and that you'll now what you're buying... They can cover all types of budget and all types of design ideas... You can choose loose pearls and let them know what you like, they'll set it for you...

You'll have a nice experience in the shop itself and be really happy with your purchase...

For any further information, do not hesitate to let me know...

Miss MarLa

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to buy black pearls

Bon Jour Madam I will have to tget in touch with you about those Pearls then.

Is USD400.00 for a very good quality 15mm Pearl a reasonable

price?

Regards

BO

Paris, France
Level Contributor
97 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to buy black pearls

Bo,

Honestly, 400$ for a very good quality pearl... If someone tells you so, they might not be telling you the truth about the category...

Nyco's will be able to sell you what they're telling they're selling you as they are really followed by legislation... They'll give you a certificate testifying the quality... And 15mm pearl is quite big and you have to know that it is very rare to have big perfect pearl... the biggest pearl is something around 18mm, it is in the pearl museum in Papeete and it is all swollen...

My advice is anyway not to plan from home what you want to buy but walk in their boutique... pearls are like diamonds... You have to fall for it big time... When you see the pearl that is meant for you, you'll know it don't worry...

You know what, go to see the Nyco's team, tell them you come from MissMarLa... They'll be your guiding angels...

Miss MarLa