We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels.com Experience Good or Bad?

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Hotels.com Experience Good or Bad?

Has anyone on here booked their hotel in Bora Bora through Hotels.com? I just signed up for the Capital One Venture card and if I book through their partner Hotels.com I can earn 10x the points and possibly use that to pay for the airfare ect. I am hesitant to book such a dream vacation through a third party website for this reason:

My husband exceeded his quota at work and we won a free vacation to anywhere in the U.S. We are New Yorkers so we chose Lake Tahoe b/c it was far and we prob wouldn't really go there otherwise. When trying to check in to the hotel, we couldnt get a room b/c the travel agent/booker whoever idk made a mistake and they wouldn't help us because it was booked through expedia or something. They had said if we booked directly with them they could have helps us better. This was all after flying through the middle of the night and then talking to them at 4 am their time.

So, for those of you who used a third party booking site what was your experience, especailly if you used Hotels.com. Also!! do you think if i booked a diamond owb at Intercontinetnal that they would be reluctant to upgrade me to the brando or something if used hotels.com and not them directly?

6 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
114 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Hotels.com Experience Good or Bad?

Take a few moments of your time and do a little research on Hotels.com. Personally, I would never use them for anything especially a trip to French Polynesia. Also, it is highly unlikely that you would be upgraded to the Brando suite regardless of how you booked your trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,013 posts
665 reviews
2. Re: Hotels.com Experience Good or Bad?

I would prefer to book direct for a place like Bora Bora over using a 3rd party site like Hotels.com.

Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Hotels.com Experience Good or Bad?

I’ve personally had some bad experiences with hotels.com as far as recourse. They’re ok for a quick one night stay, but no way would I use them for something like this. I would use a reputable travel agent, who you can see face to face and can call personally if things go south. There are too many moving parts in a trip like this to risk it. Too much money involved, and also no way to change things if you need to in the big scheme of things.

Jonen,Switzerland
Level Contributor
452 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Hotels.com Experience Good or Bad?

We have used Hotel.com a few times but not for FP. No problems I had with them. 3 rd FP Trip first time without travel agent I used Booking.com and was also no problems. Later I learn it’s for several places smart to get a membership of a hotel chain to get special offers a d darling point on their programs. So,we do this now. For a few hotel or rental I,use sometimes agoda but most time I book with the hotel itself. Just compare the prices. No cancel option are often less expensive so it’s a need to compare the same things.

Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Hotels.com Experience Good or Bad?

No problem at all with Hotels.com and Expedia on my last three vecations, all over three weeks, one of them to French polynesia. Got a lower price then booking direct, and then aditional 10% off due to credit card deal with Expedia.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,013 posts
665 reviews
6. Re: Hotels.com Experience Good or Bad?

If you go with a 3rd party make sure you confirm with the hotel directly after booking with the 3rd party site. I always do that as well.

Reply to: Hotels.com Experience Good or Bad?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted