We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

Arizona
8 posts
IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

Hello everyone!

I've been doing a lot research into French Polynesia Overwater Bungalows. So I've narrowed it down to IC Le Moana and Pearl Beach Overwater bungalows in Bora Bora. My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary (January 2019), which we decided 5 years ago we would spend it in Bora Bora. Watching youtube videos and reading forums I still cannot decide which is best. I've also heard that there are different types of overwater bungalows?? I am more confused as ever. Also hearing that the restaurant in the resort(s) are very expensive, dinner ranging at $125 pp. Thinking of going outside to eat some days. Is there AC in all of the overwater bungalows? We will be using Costco travel unless anyone have other recommendations? Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you =)

8 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

Yes, the OWB have Air Con. I don't think you have to expect to spend $125 pp/per dinner unless you are going to order soup, salad and an entree, plus a glass of wine. I stayed the IC Thalasso and entrees ranged from $32-$45, soup was $12. Add a bread basket and you are set. I find that in hot climates, I tend to eat less because I am full from drinking water all day. I feel better eating less. I never ordered more than an entree and maybe an appetizer to share. Costco Travel can provide a quote for your hotel including breakfast, (which will usually run about $40 per person a la carte) and dinner. That will take a lot of guesswork out of what you will be spending for meals.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,423 posts
660 reviews
2. Re: IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

Haven't stayed at either but based on reviews I would go with the Intercontinental.

Arizona
8 posts
3. Re: IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

I am glad to hear that the prices can be reasonable. I am new to this forum and am so glad to have found it. Reading all these questions and answers will definitely help us be prepared for our trip. If there any tips you recommend that would be awesome. Thank you much!

Level Contributor
59 posts
4. Re: IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

We’ve stayed at IC Le Moana 3 times and Pearl Beach once. If you;re looking strictly at OWB size, Pearl Beach would win because they’re a little bit larger, and a little newer.

But there are other factors that could influence your decision. LM is on the main land so you don’t have a boat transfer if you want to eat at other restaurants. In fact, there are 2 markets within walking distance of LM so you can pick up water, beverages, snacks, baguettes, rotisserie chicken, pastries, etc. It’s nice to be able to walk there th buy food for lunch or dinner and eat on your deck.

Staying at LM you are also within walking distance of several restaurants, and other restaurants will pick you up at the resort and return you after you eat. Staying at PB means having to take a boat shuttle to the mainland if you want to go to the market or to other restaurants. Most resorts offer a free shuttle during the day, and charge in the late afternoon and evening. The restaurants will then pick you up at the dock and return you after dinner.

At LM you can kayak out to the Coral Gardens relatively easily. Both resorts have beautiful, shallow water, but the water at PB was much calmer since there;s less boat traffic.

No matter which one you choose, you’ll love it!

Arizona
8 posts
5. Re: IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

The OWB size is not huge issue, but the convenience stores or markets nearby will be 1 deciding factor. My radar is on high alert always looking for grocery stores or markets nearby when going on vacation. I always have that little voice "just in case I need something" in my head. Great info! That actually helps a lot, thanks Laurie!

Arizona
8 posts
6. Re: IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

It looks like IC is winning =)

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
206 reviews
7. Re: IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

Four years ago we stayed at Le Moana, and did not eat lunch or dinner at the resort at all. There are several places to eat within walking distance, and as above there are two shops within walking distance where you can buy all sorts of foodstuffs and fresh bread. The OWBs are plenty large enough for two persons. And the swimming directly off the deck is wonderful. But don't dive off the deck, the water is just waist deep. Reef shoes are recommended, as there are a few bits of broken coral in the sand on the bottom, or wear swim fins. We never had problems with wake from passing boats, and mostly the water was calm and easy to swim.

Arizona
8 posts
8. Re: IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows

Thank you Kevin! It looks like LM is winning. Btw does anyone recommend any excursions there? We have 3 other couples that will be joining us and would love a great excursion for the group. Greatly appreciated!

Reply to: IC Le Moana vs. Pearl Beach Resort Overwater Bungalows
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted