We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

freshwater fishing

kent
4 posts
Save Topic
freshwater fishing

I am going to kovalam, 23rdjan for a few weeks I was wondering if there was any freshwater fishing ie carp or catfishing,in the backwaters, lakes ect, do I take my rod and reel, or do I leave them at home? If there is fishing is it possible to hire tackle out there rather, than bring through airport...thanks

cardiff wales
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: freshwater fishing

Hi Alfie,

My husband is a carp fisherman, and we were in Kottayam and back waters last year, he did alittle fishing from the house boat, with a bamboo stick and line with bread, and caught small fish?. kerelan people eat Carp, so maybe there is carp there. I would suggest taking your rod and reel, dont know if you can hire this techi stuff, I know what my hubby's like, but i wouldnt take good one just in case? it gets lost. We are also going on the 23rd jan this year again, but taking large parcels to our Orpahange, Thomas Cook taking it for us free of charge FANTASTIC, lots of useful items for 66 children. Flying from Gatwick, you will see us I am sure, We are checking in early as we have cargo. staying at the leela kempinski where are you staying/ where ever, what ever, have fun, its a beautiful country wonderful people, and wonderful food. Enjoy it. Maybe we will meet?? happy holiday

Kerala
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: freshwater fishing

If you travel towards Kollam or Aleppey, or if you are planning to go on a houseboat cruise, you will have chances to try out fishing. The backwaters do have plenty of catfish in them, but not really sure of carps. It will be good if you take your fishing rod as they are not locally available.

kent
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: freshwater fishing

thanks for the advice, i'll keep an eye out for you. can't wait after all this cold weather

kent
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: freshwater fishing

thanks for the web pages, will check out. thank you very much for local knowledge cheers

cardiff wales
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: freshwater fishing

Hi Alf

Just one thing my wife didn't mention.

Don't set up an all night bivvy, on the bank at night, there are a lot of snakes about on the edges of the lake, I think they sleep most of the day.

I am just taking a wagler set up this year, if I get any time to go fishing.

Have a great holiday,

Best regards

Peter Tasher.

kent
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: freshwater fishing

see you at the airport peter, alf1e

7. Re: freshwater fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 02:50