We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

too late to clam digging in August?

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
too late to clam digging in August?

Hi all, does anyone know if it's too late to calm digging by end of August? Seems like a very fun thing to do. Also is anyone know how much is the clam digging license ?

Thanks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

The Alaska Fish & Game web site contains the information you need.

www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm…

Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

Hi

I do not know alot about clamming but i do know you need a negitive tide to do it. There are quite a few days in Aug. that have this. Check the link and it will give you the day's and times

Hope this helps

piscatorialpursuits.com/…2012

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

You will need equipment to do this and what are you going to do with the clams? Perhaps you could try tide pooling. We did that last week for the first time across the bay from Homer. Includes a boat ride across Kachemak Bay to the field station at Peterson Bay, some hiking and looking at creatures. No fishing license needed either.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

Thanks you for the quick replies.

I am planning to go on 8/30, the tide is -1.7 @ about 9am. I hope that’s okay. I saw some posts mentioned the supermarket in Soldotna sells the clamming shovels. Now I need to look for a cabin in Ninilchik area or Homer, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

You'll find first hand lodging recommendations by reading thru the 2011 trip reports. I've only camped in Homer, but a good friend stayed at Alaska Beach House B&B (Fishermans Qtrs) 2 summers ago and highly recommended it.

Lots of good info on this interactive map. Send for their free Visitor Guide.

http://www.kenaipeninsula.org/destinations

minnesota
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

I was trying to get info here on clamming too. We will be there at prime time on July 4th & 5th. I think we paid $55 for a 7 day fishing license and that includes the clamming. I haven't found any places that advertise rental gear. I know you can buy shovels and buckets at Fred Meyers in Soldotna, and you need that 5 gallon pail of fresh water to put the clams in so they filter out the sand. I know there is a lady that cleans them but I haven't found her yet either. I have the directions on how to dig and clean them. I think that is on the sight from the first poster. I wouldn't dig 60 clams but it would be an experience and would love to taste them. We will just show up and figure it out. Have a great vacation. We leave tomorrow!!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

Thanks for the info, have a great trip!!!

Alaska
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

There are several cabins. There is also Happy Valley B&B. You can email me for the cabin info and also more clamming info.

gebhartdani@yahoo.com

Alaska
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

There are many cabins and also B&B's. You should get hold of someone local to find out about maybe even renting the shovels, some cabins have that stuff on hand for you. You could visit www.alaska-halibut-charters.com they take care of all of it for you, i think. hopoe this helps.

10. Re: too late to clam digging in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 09:46