We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halibut Fishing

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
Halibut Fishing

Hi, is early July a good time for halibut fishing?? Any suggestion for the good hailbut charter out from Homer??

Thanks.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halibut Fishing

Yes, July is a good time for halibut fishing. My source is a halibut-fishing friend who just discussed it the other day.

It is hard to recommend one outfitter over another. The halibut are there for the taking, if they get you to the right spot - and it would seem almost criminal to miss a great spot out of Homer!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halibut Fishing

Since 71.. thanks for your info... Also did u or anybody heard about Rainbow tour before (www.rainbowtours.net) ??

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halibut Fishing

I've heard of Rainbow Tours before, no negatives. Most any charter should be good. I prefer small boats with fewer people. Ask how long the captain has been fishing the area. Mostly though it's luck....Fish on!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halibut Fishing

I've gone out on the half day halibut trip with Rainbow for three consecutive years...in fact, I just went out with them this past Sunday.

Everyone on our boat got their limit (2) of halibut. Actually, the whole boat usually got their limit on every trip we've taken with them. (Twice in June, once in Sept.)

I think Rainbow does a good job, but there are a few things to remember. First, it is only a half day trip. For me, that's good - less time on the water (I'm prone to be a bit seasick), and a cheaper price. And, I can sleep in by going out on the 12:30 boat. But, they are just going for nice size (15-20lb) eating fish. They are not trying to get those big monsters that win the halibut derby, so if that is what you want, don't go out with them.

Also, I think both their boats are 20 person boats, so you will be fishing with quite a few other people. They manage that amount of people quite well, but, still you should be aware that you could go out with that many people. We actually got lucky this last trip; only 12 people on the boat so we had tons of room...but, you can't expect that. A lot of the full day boats take only 6 people, for comparison, although the full days are typically smaller boats, so in some ways it evens out....

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Halibut Fishing

Hi Glacierlady and KMK40.. thanks a lot for your information... :-)

For KMK40, just wondering any difference between 6am & 1230pm?? Some people told me there is better chance to see whale on the 6am boat then the 1230pm one plus the water is more clamer in the morning. Is that true??

Ryan

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halibut Fishing

I don't know about chances of seeing whales - that's not what the fishing boat is going out for. We did see whales on the afternoon boat once. This past time, we saw lots of sea otters and a few puffins, and of course tons of gulls.

I believe Rainbow DOES run tour boats specifically geared towards whale watching, though, if that is what you are interested in.

As far as morning or afternoon calmer, I don't think one is more likely than the other. When we went out this past weekend, the morning boat had really rough weather - they told us 9 of the 14 people on board were throwing up over the side. We went out that same afternoon, and it wasn't bad. And, I would notice! It was just a little choppy for us, and no one on our boat got sick.

7. Re: Halibut Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 00:48