We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takitumu Villas vs. Heliconia Hideaway

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Takitumu Villas vs. Heliconia Hideaway

Hi everyone :)

I'm currently planning my honeymoon in late September/Early October which will involve 12 nights on Rarotonga. I've been debating between Royale Takitumu (Honeymoon Beachfront Villa) or Heliconia Hideaway (6 nights Beach Bungalow, 6 nights Villa, as the Villa is booked for our first 6 nights so they gave us this option). The price for either option is almost exactly the same.

We are looking for something private and not "resort" like at all. We are looking for a privacy, a great beach, relaxing, snorkling, and some kayaking. We will be mostly cooking our own meals, but we will probably go out for dinner a few times on the trip.

Can anyone give me some an advice on which might be the better option? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Rarotonga
Rarotonga
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Royale Takitumu
Royale Takitumu
370 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,775 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takitumu Villas vs. Heliconia Hideaway

Kia Orana becca,

Welcome to our Cook Islands forum.

One comment, Heliconia is a private rental home set amongst shrubs with several other family-owned homes on the site, and next to the Little Polynesian resort. While Royale Takitumu is a small purpose built intimate resort set approx 1 km apart from Heliconia, but on the same beachfront in the middle of Titikaveka village. There is a discernable difference between the two in this way. Both offer equal privacy. More sand on beachfront at Heliconia, being situated next to stream mouth.

Heliconia has its own exclusive chef, and it's virtually a 2 minute walk to stroll next door to Little Poly for meal, and approx 5 mins to Pawpaw Patch. Heliconia owners have their Maire Nui botanical garden cafe directly across road from entrance to Heliconia. Whereas, it's a good 5 mins from Takitumu resort to Pawpaw Patch and 10 mins to Little Poly.

Good luck with this decision - are you planning to stay on Aitutaki at all? Part of me is inclined to suggest you stay at one of the two above at first, spend couple nights on Aitutaki (gorgeous island and accommodation) then return to the other property for last few nights before departure! Have you considered this option? Aitutaki is on the TA list for one of most romantic destinations in the world!!! Kia manuia.

Edited: 17 May 2010, 01:01
Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Little Polynesian Resort
Little Polynesian Resort
548 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Royale Takitumu
Royale Takitumu
370 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Titikaveka
Titikaveka
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takitumu Villas vs. Heliconia Hideaway

I see that you're intending to do a lot of your own cooking.

If you're still considering Heliconia it might pay to check kitchen facilities. I think that one of them may only have an outside bbq as opposed to a full kitchen, but that's only from what I read in reviews. I also seem to remember someone mentioning the lack of a laundry in a unit - but again I'm not sure which and my memory could be faulty.

3. Re: Takitumu Villas vs. Heliconia Hideaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2010, 12:07