We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
906 posts
203 reviews
Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

I have read a few previous posts on taxi service, however, i would still like to know...if we don't rent a car, and want to go out for dinner or drinks in the evening's when the bus service is not running, how easy is it to get a taxi??...We are staying at Moana Sands Villas...

And same at Aitutaki??..where we are staying at Etu Moana...

I can see driving a scooter in the day, but night time after drinking probably not such a good idea...

How do u guys all get around.

Thanks...;o)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
11. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

We rented from Avis at Pacific Resort and did it at the last minute. I honestly don't feel you need to pre-book as there were many many rental cars sitting in the lots when we were there. We rented a very small convertible that we nicknamed "wallace and grommit car"! Very charming!

Ashburton, New...
6 posts
12. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Hi there, we are in Raro at the end of June, we are trying to decide whether to hire scooters or a car for 4 of us, when you say you hired a little convertible for $35 a day, what sort of car is it and would it seat 4 comfortably Cheers

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
295 reviews
13. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Hi lynz

We always rent from this car company. Look at their website and see what is available. A car is much safer and scooters, I think, and drier when it rains. LOL

http://www.islandcarhire.co.ck/

And you can pick up your car from the airport (getting a temporary licence until you can get to the police station). But unless you have a bike licence, you'll have to wait until you go to the police station and take your test. I'm sure you won't be able to pick one up at the airport.

Edited: 21 May 2010, 10:29
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
906 posts
203 reviews
14. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

I forget the brand of the car, i think a Nissan, but very small convertible, no reason u could not fit 4 people in it, i saw lots of people with 4 in the car..It is not far to drive anywhere, so the size really doesn't matter...

I am so glad we had the car, it was definately a highlight of our trip as some we just cruised around day after day and got to stop wherever we wanted for as long as we wanted, and if it got too hot, could close the convertible and turn on the AC.....but then again, i am not a big fan of scooters!!

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
136 reviews
15. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

I agree about the convertible car hire - much better and drier than a scooter! Also not so dangerous with stray coconuts and dogs! We did have 6 in a convertible one night in a very big squish in Aitutaki during a downpour!

You may have trouble with 4 though if you have luggage from the airport.

You do save money if you book with Island Car hire online before you get there. We did and saved a lot. They were old rattlers but all you need (and all companies seem the same) . Service was also great

Regards

Suzi

Edited: 21 May 2010, 14:33
16. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 10:45