We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel From California and Auckland

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
153 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travel From California and Auckland

Hello,

I am wondering if any fellow travels are on here who have done this route before, because I am getting really confused. Search engines for New Zealand Air keep turning up empty, so maybe it's not even possible.

I am looking to depart from SFO, and head to Auckland for a week in March 2016. From Auckland, I'd like to stop at Aitutaki for maybe 5 days, and then head on home via SFO from there. Is this even possible? I'm having a heck of a time finding any flights that don't have me backtracking from the Cook Islands back to New Zealand, and onto SFO from there.

I have never been to the South Pacific, and don't know if there are airline limitations or tips that someone can give me?

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel From California and Auckland

To fly home from the Cooks, there is only the one flight every Saturday night via LAX.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
153 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel From California and Auckland

Thank you DonnaMaree. This clears things up for me a bit.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,624 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel From California and Auckland

Kia Orana Jasmine, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

One tip for Air NZ flights, you can book a through fare from Auckland to Aitutaki, with the final sector from Raro to Aitutaki being code-shared by Air Raro with Air NZ. Works out to provide a small saving on airfares compared to booking 2 separate flights.

Being a small nation, we only have the one departure to the USA, through Los Angeles on a weekly basis. Only other alternative to head north is to fly with Air Tahiti to Papeete and on to USA.

All the best with your plans. Kia manuia.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
153 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel From California and Auckland

Thanks for the tip for Auckland, Frangipani! Normally, dates wouldn't be that much of an issue, but I will be in NZ for specific dates due to a tour, so it's useful to know that flights out of the Cook Islands are limited.

5. Re: Travel From California and Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2016, 11:48