We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for Aitutaki travellers

Cardiff, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for Aitutaki travellers

Having returned from 10 days at Aitutaki here is my families advice.

Transport - We walked a lot because we had a house close to shops. This had several advantages, we got to talk to locals, we went into shops we would unlikely to have stopped at otherwise and we found some really good local eateries. Also the locals do not walk so as a consequence I found $10 in change on the road side. Rental cars can be in short supply which is why many people hire the bikes. The local speed limit is 40kmh but even so many tourists fall off their bikes especially when they go inland which are all coral roads, so be careful. Otherwise hire a bicycle the island is small and it is a pleasant way to get around.

Food - We ate out a lot at local eateries and had no issues at all. We have four kids and I know many people get nervous about eating out because they do not want sick kids, but I recommend going to the various local cafes. As we had our own kitchen we cooked a little so purchased local produce, again all was good quality.

Water - Again know many people get nervous because they do not want to get sick but we drank the local water and had not problems,

Mosquitos - Yes there are plenty and we all got bitten at some stage but have no issues. Bushman's with DEET is the best protection.

Money - Take cash. The card machines were out of service for a number of days when we were there so we had to go into town to get more cash. Beware that this can occur so take extra cash. Also a lot of places, including the lagoon tour operators only accept cash.

Shopping - We found souvenirs, clothes, pearls at the same price or cheaper than in Rarotonga. The range is less and you have to look for them but they are there.

Activities - There are plenty. Not all are well advertised so you need to find them. Go see and island cultural show one night. Go explore and enjoy the experience. The locals are friendly and happy to help so do not be shy to ask for advice.

Weekends - Very quiet as many things are closed so plan ahead and make sure you have cash to pay for it. Good time to ride your bike and do a lap of the island stopping for a few swims along the way.

Lagoon cruises - Thing about what you want from the cruise and then book accordingly. If you want a general look around then the large operators will probably work for you. If there are specific thinks you want to achieve then book a private charter. As a couple the charter will be 50% more but if you are a group the prices will be very similar.

Enjoy your time on Aitutaki it will be a wonderful experience. It is far better than Rarotonga.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
530 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for Aitutaki travellers

Thank you for the tips! We will be there in November for our honeymoon.

Sydney
Level Contributor
459 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for Aitutaki travellers

Wow 10 nights in Aitutaki. thanks for taking the time to share your experience. My husband and I first visited this paradise in 2006. We have just booked a return stay for November, can't wait!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for Aitutaki travellers

Thank you so much for the tips. My husband and I are planning a trip to Aitutaki on September. We're renting a villa on Ootu beach. Since we pack light we plan to walk from the airport to our villa. Do you happen to know if the airport is walkable to Ootu beach? Or should we take the transportation offered by the villa.

Which area did you stay at and which local places can we eat from? We like to avoid tourist traps and eat with the locals during our trips. I would really appreciate your response. Have a great day.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for Aitutaki travellers

HI Dana, It's a little over 2 kilometers (1.5 miles) from the airport to Ootu villas. There are several places to eat within walking distance from the Ootu villa - the Koru Cafe for breakfast and lunch (in my opinion the best coffee on the island) open from 7am -3pm 7 days, Boat Shed restaurant open for lunch and dinner 7 days, Aitutaki Village right next door to you with breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days as well as an island night show on Tuesdays.

In my humble opinion, there aren't any tourist traps on Aitutaki. It's a pretty laid back place. The locals don't eat out a lot but when they do it's primarily the small take-a ways spotted around the island although you will find them eating at the three places I have mentioned. The Boat Shed is also a hangout for locals on Sunday afternoon.

I'm sure you will have no problem mingling with the locals.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for Aitutaki travellers

Great! I really appreciate the tips. Can't wait to go there. Thanks.

6. Re: Advice for Aitutaki travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2016, 11:48