We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from great trip to Aitutaki

Atascadero, Ca
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Just returned from great trip to Aitutaki

Hello everyone,

We've been home for one week and miss Cook Islands so much. This was our 3rd trip to Cook Islands and 2nd to Aitutaki. My Husband and I decided to book straight through to Aitutaki from LAX and stayed from one week. It was very smooth and a little cheaper with Air New Zealand now code sharing with Air Raro. We got the 8:00 am flight to Ait from arriving at 7:00 am in Raro.

We stayed at Paradise Cove Lodges and had a wonderful time. They were there with the free shuttle service to pick us up at the airport. We rented a scooter for the week. We went on two lagoon cruises, Teking and Aitutaki adventures. Both were great. The weather was not good, but we did manage to find two good enough days to be out on the lagoon. It rained a lot, but we just put on our board shorts and rash guard shirts and rode around the island anyway. Still fun.

We ended up cooking our own meals most of the time. I am glad that I brought some food with me. We also met wonderful people at our hotel and we shared spices, eggs, oil, and other food to share. It was kind of like summer camp for adults. I loved it and the new friends we made. We shared our cooked meals together out on the beach at sunset. It was great! The cargo ship just came as we were leaving so there will be more food in the grocery stores now. It was pretty limited and no cheese at all.

My Husband did fall on the scooter, but only got a few scapes thank goodness. One word of caution, do not ride up the road to the summit on a scooter. Walk the entire way. It was too steep and the road had a lot of loose gravel. A lot of people were were riding part way, but I would not recommend it. It's not worth a scooter accident.

The other thing that happened is my husband's snorkel box came unhooked from his swim trunks while snorkeling and drifted away without his knowledge. If anyone finds it (slim chance I know) let me know. So keep only the minimal in those snorkel boxes! I knew they could leak, but have never had one come unlatched.

We got the 7:10 pm flight back to Raro on Saturday night, then onto LAX at 11:00 pm. It was a great trip even with the few "bumps in the road experiences". We can't wait to return for a 4th trip one day soon. Have fun to everyone one leaving soon.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
136 reviews
1. Re: Just returned from great trip to Aitutaki

Thanks for sharing Islandsgo - shame you did not have perfect weather. A good reminder too for anyone going to Aitutaki and want to self cater - TAKE FOOD. It can be very limited - even when the cargo ship has come in.

Regards

Suzi

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Just returned from great trip to Aitutaki

Thanks for your report IslandsGo. We too are staying at Paradise Cove next March after 2 weeks in Raro. Not counting the days yet!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Just returned from great trip to Aitutaki

Sounds wonderful, anyone have suggestions what sort of practical food to take?

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 posts
4. Re: Just returned from great trip to Aitutaki

Hello IslandsGo,

Did you have any issues with the close connection in RAR to AIT? I am on the same flights in September and I just remember last time it took a long time to clear customs in RAR. I had an 8 hour layover in RAR that trip but this time only an hour. Can't remember if they had a separate customs line if you had a connecting flight.

We also tried the scooter up the hill and my friend fell off the back and went tumbling down the hill. Luckily he didn't get hurt.

Atascadero, Ca
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Just returned from great trip to Aitutaki

Our one hour connection worked out well. We had plenty of time and customs went quickly even declaring food. I highly recommend this connection, because you don't waste time getting to Aitutaki. We took the 7:00 pm flight back home to make the 11:00 pm LAX FLight out of RARO. We had plenty of time to walk across the street to the Islander Hotel restraunt for dinner in between flights. Great place for dinner across from RAro airport.

As for the types of food I brought, dry pasta, spices, dry garlic, peanut butter, cheese, crackers, beans, and tortillas.

Atascadero, Ca
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Just returned from great trip to Aitutaki

Our one hour connection worked out well. We had plenty of time and customs went quickly even declaring food. I highly recommend this connection, because you don't waste time getting to Aitutaki. We took the 7:00 pm flight back home to make the 11:00 pm LAX FLight out of RARO. We had plenty of time to walk across the street to the Islander Hotel restraunt for dinner in between flights. Great place for dinner across from RAro airport.

As for the types of food I brought, dry pasta, spices, dry garlic, peanut butter, cheese, crackers, beans, and tortillas.

7. Re: Just returned from great trip to Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
Recent Conversations