We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagoon tours during the 50th anniversary celebrations?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Lagoon tours during the 50th anniversary celebrations?

Hi

I'd be so grateful if anyone could help. I am planning a late minute trip to the Cook Islands sometime between July and September, I am 21 and will be travelling alone. I have read that the 50th anniversary celebrations will be held this year between July and August . If I do not have set dates, is it worth trying to arrange flights during this time? Are tickets available? And would you recommend the opening events or Constitutional Day or both?

The major question I wanted to ask is whether lagoon cruises in Aitutaki will still run during this period? Is it a bit like a public holiday when businesses close down or do things operate at usual? I was really hoping to see the lagoon and so this may prove a decider!

Thanks so much for your time in advance

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagoon tours during the 50th anniversary celebrations?

Hi Bella welcome to the forum. Everything will be operating as usual on Aitutaki during the constitution celebrations. July - September is high season here so the sooner you make bookings the better.

Good luck with your planning.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,601 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagoon tours during the 50th anniversary celebrations?

Kia Orana Bella, welcome to the forum.

Our annual constitution celebrations commence on 24th July. Cultural performances will be held throughout the week. This being our 50th year of self-governance the aim for this year is to host a larger week long event of dance competitions. Most of the action takes place on Rarotonga, being the capital island and seat of government. I can highly recommend the cultural performances because this is when the best dances are showcased along traditional themes, and not purely to entertain the audience as such.

So far as international flights go, the sooner you book the better the price of fares. July through September is part of our busy season for tourism, and this is when the airlines can command high prices. Air NZ has daily flights into Rarotonga, with most eventuating from Auckland. Virgin Australia flies in a couple of times a week from Auckland as well. Air Tahiti has a weekly return flight from Papeete. Air NZ also arrive from Sydney and LAX once a week.

All attractions and activities will continue to operate on Rarotonga as normal also. Regarding accommodation though, you really want to be booking accommodation ahead because a lot of people from NZ and Australia will arrive especially for the celebrations as performers and supporters of their teams/ village origins. Visitors here for a winter holiday will also swell the ranks of arrivals over the same time.

Happy planning. Kia manuia.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagoon tours during the 50th anniversary celebrations?

Thanks so much both of you for your advice and comments! I appreciate it! Yes I will get booking.

If you don't mind me asking , how long do you recommend on the Cook Islands? I was thinking 2 weeks, is this too long / too short?

Also , do you have any recommendations for budget accommodation?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,601 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagoon tours during the 50th anniversary celebrations?

Hi again,

Depending on the length of time and your budget, over a 2 week period you should be able to explore 2 islands fully, if not 3 islands!

Air Rarotonga is our only domestic airline. They offer a 3 island excursion starting from Rarotonga and flying onto Atiu and Aitutaki. Air Raro can also book accommodation and arrange transfers - www.airrarotonga.com

There is budget accommodation on all the Southern group of the Cook Islands. For Rarotonga, have a look at Tiare village, Atupa Orchid units, Backpackers International and Arerenga motel.

For Aitutaki, consider Vaikoa, Petero's Place, Amuri Guesthouse, Matriki beach-huts and Ranginui's Sunset units (near airport).

If you are also interested in Atiu island (native birds and caves), look at Kopeka lodges, Atiu Guesthouse or Taparere Lodge.

5. Re: Lagoon tours during the 50th anniversary celebrations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2016, 10:45