We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long time stay at Aitutaki.

Oslo, Norway
2 posts
Save Topic
Long time stay at Aitutaki.

Hallo.

I am a 19 years boy from Norway planning to stay at Aitutaki for a 6 months period during the Norwegian wintertime. But I'll need a place to stay, and later a job.

I find it very hard to find a room for long term rental. I'll guess it is much easier when I am first there.

But is there anyone here who know about a simple house/room, or someone I should contact. Or is there anyone who know approximately how much a room will cost per month on the island?

Thank you so much!

Vebjorn

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long time stay at Aitutaki.

HI Vebjorn, What you are planning to do won't be easy. There very few long term places to stay and it won't be cheap even with long term rates. As for working, your visa doesn't permit you to work. You would have to find someone who would hire you and apply for a work permit for you.

Inquire at Josie's Beach Lodge josies@aitutaki.net.ck

Amuri Guest House amuri_lodges@hotmail.com

Toms Cottage papatoms@aitutaki.net.ck

There is also the Paratrooper Motel but they have no Internet presence. You would have to call them country code 682 31-563

These would most likely be the cheapest places you could find.

As you say, once you are here you may find something by talking to the locals.

You might also consider Rarotonga as there are a lot more options there.

Good luck with your planning

Oslo, Norway
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long time stay at Aitutaki.

Thank you so much "Puapii-teacher"!

After what I can understand it should be possible to get my extended visa when I arrive Rarotonga. So I will plan for a few days on Raro before I jump over to Aitutaki.

I can afford up to a month at the cheapest resort with no income. I will use this time to find a job, and hopefully a place I can stay for the rest of my stay.

Do you think it will be a problem finding someone who would hire me and apply for a work permit for me? I know it will be hard, it's supposed to be, but can I expect to find a job? I have done a ton of research, but it seems hopeless to find a job "off island". It's a risk for sure, but I need to know if that is possible.

Thank you again!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
802 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long time stay at Aitutaki.

I'm not sure if you are interested in gardening but you could check out this as a possibility:

www.tauonos.com/more-about-tauono-s.html

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long time stay at Aitutaki.

Hi

As Puapii-teacher says, it's not going to be as easy as you think. Have a look at this site.

mfai.gov.ck/index.php/…visitors.html

Initially you will be allowed in for 31 days and will then have to apply for an extension. You may also be asked questions by immigration at the airport about where you are staying and how you will support yourself. You may also be asked to show your return flight documentation.

Fkp
Level Contributor
86 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long time stay at Aitutaki.

Hej Norske Gutt!

As already mentioned by others you cant get a work visa, just prolonged tourist visa.

In order to work you either need to buy a existing company and work with that or start a business. There is a third option where you buy yourself into a locally owned company.

There are some locals on this forum who dont like people to expatriate to their islands from other countries even if it brings knowledge, economy, jobs and entreprenuership. If you like and since I am Swedish and your Norweigian you may pm me and I may have some advice for you.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long time stay at Aitutaki.

I'm afraid the information that marons provides above is not accurate. There are many foreign workers on Aitutaki that are not owners or partners in any business just employees. The business does have to apply for a work permit for their foreign workers.

Fkp
Level Contributor
86 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long time stay at Aitutaki.

I am afraid Puapii-teacher is correct about me being wrong. Seems rules have changed in the resent year and it is possible to hire a foreigner on contract basis. What I told seem to be a year or so old news.

You can read more here: mfai.gov.ck/index.php/…work-permit.html

This text is particulary interesting:

"It is Government policy that the employer will identify and train a local resident to take over the position at the end of the foreign worker’s contract. The employer may be requested to provide evidence of this arrangement at the time of application. The employer must also repatriate the worker on termination or completion of their employment contract."

From this you can draw the fact that usually foreign hired people are such that require special skills, is specially trained or is lacking in some way amongst the locals.

Also one thing you should take into consideration is that I believe minimum wage is NZ$5/h before income tax (I will probably be corrected on this one) and it is often what is paid for non-qualified personnel. You come from Norway which has one of the world highest income rates. If you have some kind of bills to pay at home then it might get tough.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long time stay at Aitutaki.

The rules for hiring foreign workers have been in place for many years. Any changes made recently would be minor.

9. Re: Long time stay at Aitutaki.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2015, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki