We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
120 reviews
Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

Has anyone done both of these charters? They both have great reviews and can't decide which one to choose. Like the idea of mixing fishing and snorkelling. As we are there for long enough and it is a special birthday, maybe we do both and then can answer for future travellers lol

Have heard Honeymoon Island is worth the visit. Any thoughts?

eurekacalifornia
Level Contributor
21 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

We have been only on Black Pearl many times. Fishing on Black pearl and snorkeling on White Pearl (their other boat.) On both boats either fishing or just snorkel trips every detail is thought after. Snorkel spots are guided and beautiful. The food is prepared absolutely fresh. Mike and Mere look after you and will go beyond what you ask for. They will stop at Honeymoon Island and Yes..it is worth it. We are just preparing for our 8th trip to Aitutaki. Hope to see you there.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

Thank you for that. can't wait for our trip there!

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
657 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

Hi Lynley

We went out with Slice of Heaven and cant rate them highly enough. Really enjoyed it and Mike and Ine are certainly a great couple. Can't comment on Black Pearl as havent been with them. I honestly think whichever you chose will be perfect.

Have a fabulous time, Carole

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

Thanks Carole.

Getting very excited and just might have to try both for myself.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
85 reviews
5. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

Hi, Honeymoon Island is very nice and picturesque, lovely bird life, etc etc etc, but do you also know it's a popular kitesurfing destination? The day we went there on our lagoon cruise, there were 33 kites in the air and possibly twice that many on the beach, so unless you go on a windless day, don't expect a nice quiet island! Having said that, we did enjoy watching the colourful and skillful display!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

Thank you Cazoe,

I had read about the kites but the rest of our time will be blissfully relaxing that this will break up the holiday nicely if we do happen upon such a display.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
472 reviews
7. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

Lynley. One lagoon cruise is NEVER enough. So I dont think you would be disappointed doing them both.

Fkp
Level Contributor
86 posts
149 reviews
8. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

There are several small companies that will bring you on lagoon excursions, Black pearl and Slice of heaven are not the only ones.

I will not go into which ones are the best, I tried a few and were satisfied with them. Also, don’t know when you are going but quite soon there is a new company opening up to take charters on the lagoon as well as outside.

Some people think the boats used on the current charter boats is old and worn - In contrary to the existing charters, this company has a new and fresh boat which is also quite fast. A faster boat means to spend less time moving around transporting yourself on the lagoon which gives you more time to snorkel and explore the motus (small islands) and sand bars. Their boat also has a very shallow draft which mean they may reach places where an outboard/inboard/stern drive motor boat may not take you.

It is right what Cazoe mentions about the kitesurfers. I have been on Honeymoon island both on windy days with more or less no kitesurfers as well as there have been surfers on less windy days. Have not yet figured out when they go but it seems someone is creating charters to Aitutaki for Kitesurfers in OZ and NZ and it is on those weeks it is more crowded then other times.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
40 reviews
9. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

I'm afraid the information marons provides is not entirely accurate. Firstly, there is a big difference between the regular lagoon cruises and the charters. The lagoon cruises will fill up their boats with as many as they can fit, where as the charters will only take your party and no one else. The lagoon cruises have a fixed itinerary that they follow where as the charters will customize the day for you and do what ever you want.

Also the charters, Slice of Heaven and Black/White Pearl have relatively new boats. They also take people outside the lagoon if conditions permit.

I don't know what new company marons is referring to but I haven't seen any advertisements for it and if he has any connections with it he needs to disclose that or he will be violating TripAdvisor guidelines by promoting it.

Fkp
Level Contributor
86 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: Aitutaki Black Pearl vs Slice of Heaven

I think Puapii teacher is missunderstanding something. I am talking about different companies which will take you on the lagoon. Those include both private charters as well as the lagoon cruises.

In private charters there are more companies then the 2 mentioned here as well. A quick look at the different excursions you could do on Aitutaki will lead you to them.

In regards to the new coming up company they are not yet in completion to start the run of business. That is why it depends on when you go and this is also the reason there has not been any ads and just because I know of something does not mean that someone else on this forum know.

Secondly, I am not promoting any companies, all the ones I have gone on are worthy to go on a charter with, even the ones not named Black Pearl or Slice of Heaven.