We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

The Cook Islands News is highlighting the high number of mosquitos on Aitutaki at the moment. With all the rainfall they have experienced it would seem the mosquito's have significantly increased in numbers just about everywhere on the island.

It is reported that they are NOT dengue mosquitos - they are reported as just being annoying and unpleasant. So if you are going make sure you have lots of repellent, coils and take some plug ins

Suzi

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

The health department has started spraying for mosquitoes on Aitutaki. How much this will help remains to be seen.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

I got the hell bitten out of me last week....still haven't got dengue fever. Yes the mozzies are very annoying & they just ignored my repellent. But then again if I was at the north pole, I will still get chased and bitten by mozzies!

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

There is no dengue on Aitutaki at the moment and hasn't been for some time now. For effective repellent something with a fairly high percentage of deet is recommended. Deet has gotten a bad rep but if used as directed it is perfectly safe.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

What percentage of deet is most effective? I'm travelling with kids too and I have started to stockpile repellant to take with us already (going in Easter)

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

I would think something between 30 and 50 percent should be effective. I use one that is 99 percent but that's probably not a good idea for children. As long as you keep it out of your eyes and mouth and wash your hands after applying it, there shouldn't be a problem.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
647 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

We were there last week and while we saw mozzies we werent eaten alive which I expected we might be - there is something about me they love! However we always do take precautions, 2-3 weeks before we travel we start taking vitamin B tablets, we take stocks of Bushmans repellent; both the spray and the gel, and as well as mozzie coils we take plug in repellents that we use at night.

That isnt to say we didnt get bitten, we did but for me only about 5 or 6 bites which is nothing to what I would normally get.

I also know that when I went to Samoa years ago and was literally eaten alive one of the locals suggested I used coconut oil on my body as the mozzies just slide straight off it. Not sure how true that is but I did also have my good old bio oil which I used as a body lotion and it seemed to work.

The other thing I never do is wear perfume (hence the bio rather than body lotion) and as much as I love the local bananas there is something about them and me combined that mozzies love so I don't over dose on them.

It's all about taking precautions and being sensible with what you do and when you do it!

Tutukaka, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

We have just been to Aitutaki and didn't see one mosquito and usually I am the one to be bitten.

8. Re: Going to Aitutaki? Take LOTS of Mosqutio Repellent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2015, 11:46