We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most effective mosquito repellant

South Australia...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Most effective mosquito repellant

Hi all,

We will be travelling to Aitutaki and wanted to ask which repellants worked best for you? :)

I have been researching and it seems that 3M Ultrathon has had favourable feedback.

Do you guys spray repellent on your clothing as well and if so, which kind?

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
316 reviews
31. Re: Most effective mosquito repellant

Not tried that one. I live in the UK so I will see if the pharmacy sells the wrist bands you mentioned. Thanks for the tip. Should I buy the coils when we get to Rarotonga?

Lake Macquarie...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
151 reviews
32. Re: Most effective mosquito repellant

apollo, you mustn't burn the coils indoors, they are for outdoor use only.

The "plugins" are for indoor use.

You are able to buy both coils & plugins in the supermarkets in Raro. Although we choose to take our own plugins (only because we already have them) it's completely up to you where you purchase them.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
304 reviews
33. Re: Most effective mosquito repellant

I agree with Fernsie. You must not burn coils indoors - whatever colour they are. They are very cheap to buy in Raro so not worth taking them with you - they would probably break on the way anyway.

Neither should you burn citronella candles indoors - they are also strictly for outdoor use.

I, too, like the plug-ins for indoors. But they are of no help when you are walking around.

As for personal protection I like to go for the strongest as mozzies love me. So I stick to Deet as I reckon for a short time it's more important to prevent bites than to risk getting Dengue, Chikungunya or one of the other nasties. I have tried Picaridin (which is also a synthetic compound) but have not found it as effective.

Just remember that the mozzies that carry dengue etc are the daytime variety with the worst time for bites being at dawn and dusk. The night-time ones can bite just as well and the noise the females make will drive you mad during the night.

34. Re: Most effective mosquito repellant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
Recent Conversations