We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

Benalla Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

I’ve been to Aitutaki twice now and will be returning in September this year. I would love to get a water taxi to drop me at a motu in the lagoon for the day, and would like to know which ones, if any, have good snorkeling? Do I need permission from the owner/s? If so, how do I do this?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

We found great snorkeling on Akaiami - and it was very close to shore. Many of the lagoon cruises stop there, so you shouldn't have an issue going for the day.

Benalla Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

Thank you poortraveler.

Last time we went out with Te King and we went near Akaiami, but did not actually stop there. It looked beautiful, and very calm water as well. Did you snorkel from the front beach or at the rear (reef side) of the island? Were you staying on the island? I'm unsure if we would be welcome as 'day visitors'.

Cheers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

We stopped there for 2 hours with the Bishops tour, and we snorkeled at the "back" / reef side of the motu. It's not an inhabited island, so as long as you are not camping or leaving rubbish, I don't see why you wouldn't be more than welcome as day visitors.

If you are unsure, ask your hotel manager when you arrive. I am sure they will be able to help you book a taxi and give you advice on where to go.

NZ
Level Contributor
91 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

Kia orana

We had a wonderful day alone on Maina thanks to Puna and his wife Tutu from Aitutaki Adventures. Tutu packed us a lunch of sandwiches and fruit and Puna dropped us off in the morn and picked us up later on in the evening. The swimming off shore was fantastic and we snorkelled for ages, seeing some quite different sea life than what we have seen in the lagoon during tours and off shore from Aitutaki. The island itself is great to explore with a large sandbank to walk out onto, and of course the Red tailed Tern nests here and it's always fun seeing them and their babies. They don't mind you checking them out as long as you give them their space! Maina is right beside Honeymoon island and is a great island to be deserted on, not just for the location, but for some reason there are no Mosquitos there and that's always a bonus! I would recommend doing a day tour with Aitutaki Adventures and organising an island drop off with them for later in your stay. We will be doing this again when we return in May for sure! I hope this helps...

Ka kite!

Benalla Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

Thank you JelNZ,

Maina sounds great. We've been on two lagoon cruises with Puna and Tutu and thought they were lovely people, so will call them and arrange something while we’re there.

Cheers, Chris

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
6. Re: Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

Akiama motu is great for snorkeling. The best way to enjoy it is to spend a night at Gina's Beach lodge there. Be careful when venturing between motu because the tidal currents can sweep you over the coral heads if you get upstream of them.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
136 reviews
7. Re: Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

Lots of great options there - i would wait until you arrive and ask your accommodation. Just be careful; that you don't get dropped for the day and the weather turns - this happened to some people we met and they spent the day shivering on their motu!

Suzi

8. Re: Snorkeling at Aitutaki Motu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2012, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
Recent Conversations