We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tauono's Cafe?

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
20 helpful votes
Tauono's Cafe?

Hi, wondered if anyone here knows whether Tauono's garden cafe is still open for business?

I read that co-owner Tauono had sadly passed away at the end of last year. There have been no reviews posted this year so far.

From what I could gather, it seems a fabulous spot, and the home made cakes and garden/plantation tours would be of particular interest.

Cheers

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

Kia Orana GSN,

I havent as yet heard whether or not the organic garden cafe has reopened for business again. I will email neighbouring accommodator Etu Moana now to enquire, and post the reply to this thread.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

Update Generic Screen Name: I've now sent a request for information to Etu Moana enquiring about Tauono's Garden Cafe for you. Ka kite.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
3. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

Here is the essence of the reply I received from Jeff who is currently managing Etu Moana for Jim and Joanne Britton at present -

Jeff says that Sonja has recently reopened the cafe and has also commenced selling organic produce again. That's great news for all Tauono Garden Cafe enthusiasts, and it's lovely to hear that Sonja is continuing the ecological vision in the memory of her late husband Tauono.

"Her hours are:Monday to Friday 3pm to 5 pm daily for afternoon teas and fruit/vege salesMonday Wednesday and Friday 12.00pm to 2 pm lunch ..." (Jeff, currently managing Etu Moana, Aitutaki island).

GNS - I owe you a PM in reply to your request for info re cyclone relief for Aitutaki. Will do so today. Ka kite.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
25 posts
55 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

that's great to hear! we'll be on Aitutaki tomorrow and will surely go back for her lovely cakes and lasagne!

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

Thanks very much Frangipani for finding that info, really appreciate it, cheers!

I didn't realise how close it was to Etu Moana, its gonna be a real bonus to have organic vegie supplies and local produce available next door. Really pleased that Sonja has carried on the business, it must have been really difficult especially with the cyclone damage.

Cheers!

Nikao
5 posts
6. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

Kia Orana GSN,

This is Sonja Raela's email address sonjar@aitutaki.net.ck and her website www.tauonos.com - I book and confirm quite a few people who 'Wwoofing' at her property 'Willing workers on Organic Farms' . You can call her on (682) 31.562.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

Hi,

I was there in August this year and I can say it was a most memorable experience. Great food, great value and a beautiful setting. Sonja was a most attentive hostess and nothing was too much trouble for her to please a vegetarian!! With the lagoon trip, it was one of the two highlights of my stay.

Ann

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
20 helpful votes
8. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

Thanks for the replies. We went to Tauono's a few times and sampled the beautiful cocnut cake!

The strangest thing happened there: Sonja was on holiday and had left the place in the hands of a French couple. On our first visit my wife thought the girl looked a bit familiar....they got talking and it turns out they went to the same school. Small world!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
9. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

How extraordinary GNS!!! We have the local saying that it can only happen in Raro. But Aitutaki? Goodness, what are the odds for that to occur, eh!

10. Re: Tauono's Cafe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 09:46