We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedition ocean kayaking in Aitutaki

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Expedition ocean kayaking in Aitutaki

We are experienced expedition ocean paddlers, snorkelers and divers who are wondering if it's possible to locally rent ocean kayaks and paddle the inside of the atol over the course of 7-10 days? If anyone has any information on that, and on how we might rent local kayaks that are suitable for a trip such as this, we would sure appreciate any insights. Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Expedition ocean kayaking in Aitutaki

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum. The only kayaks available on Aitutaki are small one and two man fiberglass ones. Unless you are staying at an accommodation that has them available, there are none available for general rental. The kayaks here are not designed for ocean travel or even extended trips.

There are racing vakas (canoes) here but I don't think they rent them out.

Also camping on the motu is not permitted and if you are going to be spending the day on one it's best to get permission from the land holders. If you are only going to be spending a few hours there usually isn't any problem.

I'm afraid you will have to make do with what's here.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Expedition ocean kayaking in Aitutaki

Hello Puapii-teacher.

Thank you for the great response. I am not overly surprised, given the research we did on line. We had to use inflatables in the antarctic, but it sounds like kayaks are not the only issue. We will still come for a visit, but shift the plans. Thanks again fir the local intell.

Aitutaki
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Expedition ocean kayaking in Aitutaki

Kia Orana.I am one of the organisers of an Outrigger paddling event on Aitutaki. Check out Motu2Motu Aitutaki on our website or Facebook page. I am also a member of our local paddling club, Toa Moana Aitutaki. If you come to Aitutaki we would love to take you paddling with us inside and outside the reef. Keep in touch via the Motu2Motu Facebook page.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Expedition ocean kayaking in Aitutaki

Thanks Piraki - a very gracious offer. It sounds like you are busy on lots of fronts. As we plan the next steps of this global adventure, I'll reach out via Facebook if we are in the neighbourhood.

Edited: 05 November 2018, 19:48
Reply to: Expedition ocean kayaking in Aitutaki
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
Recent Conversations