We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Aitutaki

Trieste, Italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
81 reviews
Where to stay in Aitutaki

Hello all,

I'm thinking about going to Aitutaki next May (hoping in good weather as I will have only two or three nights on the island).

I will travel alone and am quite adaptable: things I'm more interested into are proximity to a beautiful beach and nice views. Being close to shops/restaurants would be a plus. About this I'm struggling a bit in understanding where is Aitutaki " main centre" and where is the best beach location, if in Ootu or on the opposite side (Amuri? Arutanga?). Snorkeling isn't a must as I prefer scuba diving, but knowing where to go for a swim would be helpful.

Thanks for the help!

6 replies to this topic
Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki

Hi Sputnikboy, the "main center" is located near the main wharf. There are a couple of banks, post office, police station, a large store and telecom. The main market (such as it is) is located near by on the wharf.

The best snorkeling is along the west side from the Pacific Resort to Tamanu Beach Resort. There are nice beaches there. In Ootu, there is also a nice beach but the snorkeling is not as good there.

On the west side you get a direct view of the reef and the sunset. At Ootu you have a great view of the main part of the lagoon.

The lagoon on the west side is fairly shallow but is swim able especially at high tide. At Ootu there is a deeper area right off the beach with a large shallow sand bar just beyond that which can be completely exposed if there is a very low tide.

It's a small island and easy to get to any beach within a few minutes by motorbike or car.

At Ootu there are several nice places to eat within walking distance however no stores nearby. On the west side depending on where you are staying, stores can be nearby or up to a few kilometers away. That is also true for restaurants depending on where you are staying.

I'm sure you will enjoy your stay regardless of where you choose.

Trieste, Italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki

Thank you very much Puapii, I made up my mind a lot better so I booked Matriki Beach Huts for three nights, on the western side. Hopefully they are not too far from Arutanga.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki

You're welcome. Matriki is about 3K from Arutanga. There are stores a little closer than that specifically Aquila's and Rirei's. Both have their own bakeries.

You will be right next to Tamanu Beach which has a nice beach bar and restaurant. The snorkeling off their beach is also some of the best on the main island.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki

We just checked into Matriki this morning. It is wonderful. You will not be disappointed.

I should also clarify that it is not what I’d call “high end”, but then my wife and I have never needed that type of accommodation. Matriki has a rustic charm in a breathtakingly beautiful setting. And the hosts are both lovely people.

Trieste, Italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki

Thanks both for the infos, they are precious. Being rustic is okay, I don't mind, I've travelled all the world in much worse places. Can't wait to relax on that beach!

Edited: 23 October 2018, 17:15
Kansas City...
3 posts
6. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki

Anybody have contact info for the black house furthest from Aitutaki Village on Ootu Beach? I'd like rental information if possible.

Thanks!

Edited: 29 October 2018, 23:18
Reply to: Where to stay in Aitutaki
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
Recent Conversations