We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki or Fiji outer islands?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Aitutaki or Fiji outer islands?

We are considering a trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki in Cook Is but also wondering about the outer islands of Fiji. We've been to Fiji but only Coral Coast. I'm just wondering if anyone who has been to both places and would suggest one over the other? As in Aitutaki vs Fiji outer islands? I gather that Rarotonga is similar to mainland Fiji? We're interested in the snorkelling mainly I guess. I'd appreciate any advice.

4 replies to this topic
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Aitutaki or Fiji outer islands?

I've been to Taveuni, Fiji and Aitutaki (twice) and I love Aitutaki's lagoon! It is beautiful and unspoiled. My first trip to Aitutaki, I didn't have great snorkeling. But on the last trip, I had pretty good snorkeling (including went snorkeling outside the reef with the tour). If snorkeling is a huge part of the trip then maybe visiting Fiji is the better option. In Fiji, we saw so much more coral (including big fans, cabbage coral, and soft coral). But if you want to experience kayaking, island/motu hopping, some snorkeling and staring out at the 50 shades of aqua colored water lagoon then I'd recommend Aitutaki. No matter where you decide, I bet you'll have a great holiday!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Aitutaki or Fiji outer islands?

Thankyou so much - that is really helpful. I'm sure we will!! :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Aitutaki or Fiji outer islands?

And for other activities, culture, interest etc. which did you prefer?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Aitutaki or Fiji outer islands?

For water sports/activities, I'd prefer Aitutaki. Hands down!! We returned home last week from Aitutaki and stayed in Ootu Beach for both trips. On this past trip, we did two lagoon tours which included snorkeling with giant clams, giant trevally, whale watching (whale season is August-October), wakeboarding, and lunch on a "private" island. And other days we rented a scooter to see the island, went kayaking and just lounged on the beach. Aitutaki has a jaw dropping lagoon while Fiji is jaw dropping underwater.

Reply to: Aitutaki or Fiji outer islands?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
Recent Conversations